FORUMS: list search recent posts

I just don't get "Grow/Shrink"....

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Winston Cely
I just don't get "Grow/Shrink"....
on Dec 5, 2005 at 10:25:12 pm

I know this has been talked about in the past, but it just seems to me that grow shrink isn't as usuful as it should be. Am I wrong to think that you should be able to use it instead of keyframes, and be able to do the same thing as keyframes? Like have it grow from 0 to 50% and maybe even do a little bump at the end? I don't understand why it's setup to just be used to make something either grow for the length of the object or visa versa. Huh... Oh well. I guess I'll just stick to key frames.

Return to posts index

Scot Walker
Re: I just don't get "Grow/Shrink"....
on Dec 5, 2005 at 10:33:03 pm

There are parameter behaviors that you use with Grow/Shrink to do various things. The point of using a behavior over a key frame is that a behavior is not fixed, so it allows you much more flexibility in moving things around without screwing up your fixed keyframe animation.

For example, Grow/Shrink is independent of the scale of the object. So feel free to change the scale of the object after you have animated it and the thing will still be animated as you set it up, except the overall scale of the object has changed throughout the animation.

It takes some getting used to.

Return to posts index

Winston Cely
on Dec 6, 2005 at 6:29:54 pm

Thanks for your explanation! I see what you mean.

Cheers,
Winston

Return to posts index

Scot Walker
on Dec 6, 2005 at 7:41:35 pm

You are very welcome.

Once you get comfortable with behaviors, you will find them saving you huge amounts of time.

For example, I needed to animate a photo of some guy typing on a keyboard. All I had was a still photo. So I cut out the fingers with Photoshop and put each finger in layers; imported with layers into Motion; added an "Oscillator" behavior to the rotation of the first finger and adjusted (in real time as it played) the phase and magnitude until the finger looked like it was typing; copied and pasted that to each other finger and adjusting the phase of each so they weren't in sync. It took me maybe 3 minutes to animate all fingers with behaviors.

Also, learn the Motion Path behavior and play with the options of it and then apply parameters to it...

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Rene Coffey
on Dec 15, 2005 at 1:21:38 pm

Hey scot

Have you got a link to that? sounds clever!

Rene

Return to posts index

Scot Walker
on Dec 15, 2005 at 6:46:15 pm

Sure.

http://www.swproductions.com/clients/GoldenOne/typing.mov

Return to posts index

Rene Coffey
on Dec 17, 2005 at 6:43:51 pm

cheers Scot, that's great!