FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why so slow?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Winston Cely
Why so slow?
on Nov 28, 2005 at 10:27:00 pm

I'm trying to emulate a very small fireworks display... like three plums of fireworks. At least that's my plan anyway. I'm just on the first firework (using the particle emitter "Fireworks02") and it's slowed Motion down so much I can't even use it. I'm working on a G5 2.5 dually, with 3 gigs of ram, and a 9800 Pro SE (256MB). I've got 2 20" Apple flat screens, and even tried turning one off and unplugging it from the system and it's still too slow to use. I don't remeber the particle emitters running my system down so much. What should I be trouble shooting to make it run faster?

PS I even made sure that I didn't have anyother apps open. Even Dashboard!

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
Re: Why so slow?
on Nov 28, 2005 at 11:35:21 pm

Different particle systems impact performance differently.

If you are using particles extensively, upgrade the video card to an ATI x800 or nVidia 6800 or better.

The 9800 card can be unbearably slow with particles, almost as bad as the 8600 in my Powerbook.

One thing you can try is changing the emitter parameters to make it less taxing on the system.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Winston Cely
on Nov 29, 2005 at 1:17:48 am

Thanks for your help!

Well, I'll be a mokey's rear.... I wish I had known this card was as much of a dud as it is! I was under the impression this card would be a big step up from the stock card... Oh well. Maybe next year I'll get a new kickbutt card.

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Nov 29, 2005 at 6:05:17 am

Hey Winston,

The 9800 is now a two-generation-old card, but it still ain't no pansy. It's likely that your project or something system-related (besides your GPU) is causing the slowdown.

Any chance you can make the project available, sans footage? We can take a peek and see how it performs on a system other than yours, or possibly help you optimize it a bit.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Nov 29, 2005 at 4:02:04 pm

Try unplugging the 2nd video monitor and then restarting as s single monitor system.

Also, how many layers/objects are open? How many files are listed in the Media tab but are not being used?

Have you tried setting up the particle emitter as the only object in a new project (and make sure that no other projects are open)?

Are you connected to a network? Sometimes that can slow down a system.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Winston Cely
on Nov 29, 2005 at 5:47:40 pm

Wow thanks for all the suggestions.

I did do the one monitor restart, but that didn't help. I think I know what might be the solution though... I wasn't connected to a network before, now I am. I'm going to try that and see if that improves my performance.

Originally I had something like 5 layers, with mulitple objects on each one, but then I thought, why not just do the fireworks as their own project. It was still slow. And just by habit, when I work in either Motion or LiveType, I only work on one project at a time. I know that my productivity sufferes a little, but in the long run, it's better than bogging everything down and having a crash.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers,
Stone

Winston A. Cely
Editor
Envision Response
Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Winston Cely
on Nov 30, 2005 at 6:36:32 pm

Sorry, guys. Everything I've tried has come up with just as slow a results. I think it must just be the particles are slowing it down. If tried a random few others with varied results as well.

Next year... a new card!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]