FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitor flicker removal?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
agingeri
Monitor flicker removal?
on Nov 22, 2005 at 5:55:19 am

I'm working on shooting a film, and on Sunday we shot a scene of someone using a computer (shot in 60i NTSC DV). We shot it on location in an apartment, using the owner's computer. Sadly, I had no LCD monitor to hook up to the computer and could not adjust the (old CRT) monitor to 60HZ. The result? Lots of flickering. I now need a way to eliminate (or at least reduce) the flicker, preferably with minimal rotoscoping (the actor partially obstructs the view of the screen). Luckily, the majority of the shots are stationary.

Given a few hours of uninterrupted fiddling I could probably figure out a decent solution, but I was wondering if anyone out there has a tried-and-true method of removing screen flicker, perhaps with an echo effect and garbage mattes?

Also, I will be de-interlacing the video for the final product, which seems to accentuate the flicker. Not sure if this should make a difference in how I go about this.

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
Re: Monitor flicker removal?
on Nov 22, 2005 at 5:10:49 pm

Can you shoot the display off an LCD and composite it in?

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

agingeri
Re: Monitor flicker removal?
on Nov 23, 2005 at 5:12:14 am

This is one option (it's actually just a series of images appearing on screen, so I could just use the original files). However, the problem with this approach is that I would need to construct a rather complex matte, as the actor's head partially obscures the camera's view of the screen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]