FORUMS: list search recent posts

looking for a new system

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ROB DUNFORD
looking for a new system
on Nov 21, 2005 at 6:32:44 pm

Hi

I am in the market for a new Powermac G5. The choice is somewhat dictated by budget.
So either I go for a refurb 2.3ghz with an ATI 9800 Pro upgrade for the graphics or the Dualcore 2ghz with the 256mb upgrade to the stock card.
On the Apple forum, people there say the 6600 card is rubbish.
I would love to get the 2.3ghz with the better nVidia card, but the extra cost is just too much.
I am very new to Motion and maybe will never use it to it's fullest. I use FCP a lot and AE 6.5

Any real experiences welcome

Rob D
UK

Return to posts index

bogiesan
Re: looking for a new system
on Nov 22, 2005 at 9:43:04 pm

Is there a question hidden in there?
If you will never use Motion beyond playing with it, don't buy annthing that supports it and just don't buy the application. But if you already have it, it's silly not to be able to use any of its more interesting capabilities. If you're buying used or refurbished, buy the most incredibly monstrous graphics card you can afford that will support Motion2 and maybe allow you to upgrade to Motion3. Wildest speculation, of course, but rumor has it FCP6 will begin the transition to GPU-based real time capabilities.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

ROB DUNFORD
on Nov 22, 2005 at 10:18:44 pm

Thanks for the input. I guess just 'playing with it' has opened my eyes to it's possibilities, so that is colouring my hardware list. I think I have plumped for a refurb 2.3ghz and replacing the GPU with the ATI 9800 SE plus a wodge of extra RAM. I am hoping this will give me a nice system for some Motion investigation and more intensive FCP work. I know the GPU is not the most powerful but I think it's recieved some good reviews.
Thanks
Rob D
UK

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Nov 23, 2005 at 4:01:38 am

Look into an ATI x800 card for a reconditioned dual-G5. Can be found for a little more than US$360 and will make a huge difference in Motion's performance.

2 GB RAM or more is also a good idea.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]