FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Crashes with certain Distortion filters

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wildbill
Motion Crashes with certain Distortion filters
on Nov 12, 2005 at 9:58:39 pm

Hey all,

I'm attempting to apply some distortion filters (Sphere, in particular) to an emitter and as soon as I do, Motion quits altogether. I can add quite a number of the distortion filters, but a few of them crash right away.

I've recently started using the AJA Kona LH, just as an FYI.

I was wondering where the preferences file is for Motion, and perhaps by deleting that and starting from scratch I might have better luck.

Any insights?

WB

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: Motion Crashes with certain Distortion filters
on Nov 13, 2005 at 7:43:16 am

Heya Bill,

Since 10.4.3 came out, anyone who has the BlackMagic DeckLink desktop feature enabled crashes when applying most filters. I haven't played with the Kona stuff in a while, but I noticed from their brochure (on the new cards) that they also seem to offer a desktop feature (gives a broadcast preview desktop).

I shudder at the thought that this might be a global trend/problem, but do you, by any chance, have the desktop feature enabled for your Kona? If so, try disabling it and then see if Motion still bites the dust.

Please let us know, as this would be most informative :)

Return to posts index

wildbill
on Nov 13, 2005 at 12:51:49 pm

Hey Specialcase,

It's ironic that you answered my question, as I was trying to do some of your tutorials which actually brought out the problem! I was specifically trying to work with the emitters and apply a "sphere" filter that I saw on your .mac homepage.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I do have the ability to view my motion output on my Apple monitor as well as on my NTSC-connected JVC monitor (quite simply, I'm viewing the output on the Motion stage, if that constitutes output). I guess I'm not sure where to toggle this setting. Where do you toggle this setting in the case of the black magic cards? Kona has a control panel for the LH, so perhaps I change the setting there?

Thanks, Specialcase. I'm hoping to solve this so I can use the full range of Motion's capabilities. I'm also noticing that Motion doesn't always play nicely with FCP with the Kona...sometime my JVC monitor gets confused and hangs a little...maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

WB

Return to posts index

wildbill
on Nov 13, 2005 at 5:42:06 pm

Hey,

I opened up the AJA Control Panel and under the video output tab it was set to "Macintosh Desktop." I changed it to "Black" and the problem disappeared...go figure.

So now I'm happily going through your tutorials, Specialcase. Thanks for the insight!

WB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]