FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple objects to swarm and focus??

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joachim sandvik
Multiple objects to swarm and focus??
on Oct 18, 2005 at 3:29:56 pm

Hello!

I have a image of an single spermcell with alpha channel, that i wish to multiply and swim around a bit, before it focuses on an object.. e.i an egg!!!!! and swims to that egg..

The cell count should be around 75-100, and they all need to swim in diffrent dirctions before going for the egg.. Have tried with diffrent particle emitors, and masks, but no luck

Any filters, tips etc on how to do this..

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: Multiple objects to swarm and focus??
on Oct 18, 2005 at 6:04:04 pm

Heya Joachim,

I think you can get pretty darned close to what you're asking for, using a replicator and a few behaviors. Check out this movie and see what you think:

http://homepage.mac.com/specialcase/movies/spermers.mov

Nary a keyframe in sight. The sperm cell source image has an Oscillate on its Rotation, to make it wiggle. The wiggling sperm cell is then replicated. A Random Motion behavior is put on the replicator, to move the cells around, and an Align to Motion (Simulation) behavior orients them in the direction of movement. The egg has a Repel behavior on it to keep the sperm out until it's ready for fertilization, and it transitions to an Attractor to call the little guys in.

Project is here:

homepage.mac.com/specialcase/projects/spermers.motn

This is a great example of how quickly and easily this stuff can be done in Motion, using behaviors. It runs pretty fast, too, so you can play with the settings to get different movements, etc, without having to render. The only recommendation I'd make might be to pre-render the wiggling sperm cell as a movie, that way the replicator can spawn them with different source start frames, so they don't all wiggle in sync.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

joachim sandvik
on Oct 18, 2005 at 7:22:43 pm

sweet. Did you do that one just for me??

But in "real life" the egg closes up so-to-speak, when the first sperm enters.. how would you solve this little bugger. and make the remaing sperm just bang their heads on the egg??

p.s the source/project files are a bit unclear to me? is it in XLM format and hence the browser on this........PC...... cant cope??

or is it something i have missed in Motion and importing projects?

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Oct 18, 2005 at 7:40:57 pm

Heya Joachim,

The project file should just download as a Motion project (.motn), if you're using Safari. Can't speak for other browsers. Motion project files are XML, so if your browser just shows you a bunch of text (the contents of the project file), just do "Save As..." and save it as "projectname.motn". It's all done just using shapes, and yes, I knocked it together right after reading your post, not because I'm clever, but because Motion makes this kind of stuff easy :)

As for the egg rejecting all sperm cells after the first one: you can just duplicate the first Repel (the one that kept the sperm out in the beginning) and have it start just after the first sperm cell arrives. You might want to break the sperm up into two groups: one group with the lucky sperm cell that makes it into the egg, and a second group (the replicator) that mills around, gets attracted, and then gets repelled after the sperm from group 1 goes inside. This way you can trim/kill the lucky sperm so that it disappears after entering and doesn't come back out when the Repel comes back on, driving away the losers.

At some point, you're just going to have to noodle this a bit to make it look right. Otherwise you'll be writing simulation expressions for a particle system in Cinema4D or Maya, and that might take longer than you'd like ;)

Return to posts index

joachim sandvik
on Oct 19, 2005 at 5:39:47 am

GRRREAT!

Lets svim those buggers...

I got a friend working on a thing in C4D, but he is not familiar with the Xpresso controls..

Will try the C4D forum for that.

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]