FORUMS: list search recent posts

ChromaKey

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian FitzGerald
ChromaKey
on Oct 18, 2005 at 2:45:23 pm

I'm using a Dual 2.5 gig G5 w/ 4.5 gigs of RAM. I am shooting DVCAM which is 4:1:1 color space. I do a lot of green screen and have lots of challenges getting a good edge. I have previously dropped into this and the FCP Forums to ask for thoughts on this matter and there were some good ideas but the solution is still not found.
Here is my new problem. Why, I can't figure, but After Effects has become worthless to me for keying since v.6 (6.5 just as bad). I used to use it for all my keying and then import to FCP for editing because it had infinite point mattes to clean up the garbage. Now I have gone back to FCP because it generally gives me a good edge except around people's feet and then I am stuck with FCP's 8 point garbage matte which is nearly worthless (I appreciate the suggestion of the garbage matte plug in for FCP but suffice to say I found the interface more trouble than solution).

So. I have been doing more in Motion lately and really like how it has progressed from v.1 and I thought I would try it for keying because it has a robust garbage matte potential. The problem is the edges. They are as bad as After Effects now - blocky in the extreme - and I can't figure it out. I thought I was on to something today in the manual with the discussion of 32 bit Float - and maybe that IS the "key" but when I started up a new Motion file and switched it to 32 bit float I see absolutely no difference in the edges. Is there some trick to this 32 bit float I am missing and/or is that the Holy Grail that should fix this edge problem?

I have tried ALL the chromakey solutions Motion offers (Primatte, blue/green, etc.) and they all yield an extremely blocky edge. I use the Chromatte screen system so I get a good solid green background.

Am I doing something wrong?

PS: Please don't bother lecturing me about the Inadequacies of the DV format, etc. I know all about that but notwithstanding CAN get a passable key lately using DV in FCP - just no garbage matte right now.....

Thanks.

Brian FitzGerald
FitzVideo.com

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: ChromaKey
on Oct 18, 2005 at 6:07:55 pm

Hey Brian,

The DV format is HIGHLY compre...just kidding :) The Primatte and color keyers that come with Motion are fabulous for uncompressed formats, but they suffer when used on DV and the like. There is hope, though. The folks at DV Garage have released a Motion-native version of DVMatte. It keys DV very nicely and it's lickety-split quick. It's also quite cheap.

Check it out at http://www.dvgarage.com/prod/prod.php?prod=dvmatteb

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Brian FitzGerald
on Oct 20, 2005 at 2:57:15 pm

[specialcase] "The folks at DV Garage have released a Motion-native version of DVMatte. It keys DV very nicely and it's lickety-split quick. It's also quite cheap.

Check it out at " target="_blank">http://www.dvgarage.com/prod/prod.php?prod=dvmatteb"

Dear SpecialCase,
Thanks for the heads-up I am going there to check it right now.

Brian FitzGerald
FitzVideo.com

Return to posts index

Brian FitzGerald
on Oct 20, 2005 at 4:20:08 pm

Dear SpecialCase,
Immediately after reading your post I went and dl'ed the demo and "sales presentation" movies and watched them. I tried the demo out on their green screen examples and then on some of mine. It seems to work pretty good. I am downloading the paid version right now.

I believe this will be a life-changing experience for me.
Thanks for the tip!

By the way, I am 95% committed to buying the upcoming Panasonic 200 camera that will put me in a 4:2:2 colorspace (DVCPro 50) and also allow me to transition to HD. It is supposed to be available in Nov or Dec and if you have any interest in this camera I will be able to answer any questions from a user standpoint after I get it in my hands.

Brian FitzGerald
FitzVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]