FORUMS: list search recent posts

After fx or Motion.Which better results?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
After fx or Motion.Which better results?
on Oct 18, 2005 at 9:41:24 am

Which program will give better results for the same input or which is more powerfull

i know its a difficult or thorny question but i can already use afterfx and so is a there any point in learning motion.

Return to posts index

Walter Biscardi
Re: After fx or Motion.Which better results?
on Oct 18, 2005 at 11:38:22 am

The two apps complement each other. Motion is much faster in some regards and After Effects has the 3D layers / cameras which I use almost constantly.

For $300, it's well worth having Motion in your toolbox and I very often will use it for titling or particle generation and then bring that into an AE project.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Now editing "Good Eats" in HD for the Food Network

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
Re: After fx or Motion.Which better results?
on Oct 18, 2005 at 11:46:24 am

If you are happy with AE, then consider SOME of Motion's strengths:

- REAL TIME design. Watch parameters value changes update immediately while the project is playing. A wonderful feature when the client is sitting in and giving guidance or you don't want to waste too much time while noodling around ideas. It also encourages experimentation.

- Real time particle system. 'Nuff said.

- Behaviors which allow animation that would be difficult (or near-impossible) using traditional keyframing techniques.

- Pre- and post-keyframe control allows repetitive animation with a minimum of keyframes.

- Replicator for easy and quick pattern design.

- Lots of pre-built library items like backgrounds, lower-thirds, etc.

- Roundtrip integration with other apps, including AE.

- Float color space (invaluable for HD and film work as well as more accurate color control).

- Relatively low learning curve.

- Ease of working with animated shapes. Jumping between linear, bezier and b-spline shape control allows a lot of experimenting and control.

I use both for the strengths of each -- it's not a one-or-the-other situation. Motion is an excellent design tool that plays well with others and can save a lot of time. It's also just plain fun to play with. It's not the be-all and end-all of motion graphics tools, and its pretty hefty hardware requirements keep it out of reach of many with older systems. I expect that it will continue to become a powerhouse application that is in the toolkit of more and more motion graphics professionals, and Apple and Adobe will continue to make our jobs easier to create better content with both cooperative and competitive tools. Choice and variety are good when selecting the right tool for the job, and competition keeps everyone moving forward.

Only you decide whether or not this tool will give you an advantage in the type of work you do. Personally, I like to try out any tool that might help me be more creative as well as productive. Use the 30-day demo and see for yourself.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved