Brand Positioning for a Creative Company

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Julius Gintautas
Brand Positioning for a Creative Company
on Apr 17, 2018 at 12:45:00 pm

Good day, everybody!

Long time reader, first time writer.

I have an issue with a brand positioning tag line.

I am team member of a medium-sized creative company, which primarily provides film making, photography & design services to small and medium business. Marketing & communication strategies and consulting services are also being offered to a clients. Product distribution for a client is primarily digital.

Let’s call a company “Dynamic Visual Services” and shorten it to an acronym “DvS”.

What would be the most appropriate and clear brand positioning tag line?

DvS Creative Solutions
DvS Artistic Solutions
DvS Digital Agency
DvS Creative Agency
DvS Digital Marketing Agency
DvS Digital Consulting
DvS Digital Consulting Agency
DvS Media

I would like to thank everybody in advance, who would spend a time looking at and answering this thread. That would be an immense help.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Brand Positioning for a Creative Company
on Apr 18, 2018 at 3:57:17 pm

Of the choices you offer, the first one works best IMO with the last one my second choice. Most of the others could either be misconstrued as computer software/programming or telecom services, a sign shop, an SEO huckster, or, they don't signal a strong "Business communications services" component.

I'm a crotchety old fart, I guess, but I'm not a fan of company names that are overly whimsical and opaque as to what they are and do.

If I name my editing boutique: "Whoop-DeDoo!" and don't spend a megaton on marketing to make people understand it as a brand, nobody who encounters it cold knows if it's a cleaning product, a clothing brand, or a dessert topping, much less an editing/production facility. Why make the customer work so hard to know who you are and what you do, before you even meet?

Seems to me a communications company that can't strongly and transparently communicate what they do... aren't very good at doing it.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 18, 2018 at 4:17:07 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I'm a crotchety old fart, I guess, but I'm not a fan of company names that are overly whimsical and opaque as to what they are and do."

I'm now quietly filing paperwork to change the name of Fantastic Plastic to "Whoop-DeDoo!"

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Alex Brooke
on Apr 23, 2018 at 3:22:49 pm

Hi Todd,

I would personally go with DvS Digital Agency - anyone that has to put "creative" in a company is probably not that creative. Also Digital Agency gives you the flexibility to include the photography bits too. Consultancy and media are a given.

Best of luck with this!

Alex

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Apr 23, 2018 at 3:39:13 pm

How about just DvS Solutions? Add to that a logo line that briefly details your services. And do NOT position yourselves as being for small to medium size clients. Small people almost always think they're bigger than they are. On many cases they are also willing to pay more than many of the "big" guys.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 23, 2018 at 4:58:16 pm

If it needs a graphic to make you understand what it is, that's bad writing. It is not a crime to put the actual job you do in the name.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Apr 24, 2018 at 7:45:53 pm

My problem with "graphic" is that in my head (and I believe in many others) that implies the graphic arts aspect of print work. IMHO.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]