FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting in the VFX bidding

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Emmes
Getting in the VFX bidding
on Jan 22, 2017 at 8:34:06 pm

Hey guys. I'm a VFX compositor with 12 years experience. I've work all over New York as a Flame artist. I'm really interested in branching out and starting my own thing but I have no idea how to find the work. I'm looking to get into the standard commercial work of green screen and cleanup first then bring 3D people in for bigger jobs. Anybody have any recommendations of how I can go about finding work that I can bid on? I'd love to start building relationships with clients and working 1 on 1 with them. I just have no idea how to get started. Does some kind of VFX rep exist? I've done plenty of work for VFX companies (on site and remote) but I'd like to bypass them and do it directly for the production companies/agencies on my own equipment. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Getting in the VFX bidding
on Jan 23, 2017 at 6:10:05 pm

The first thing I'd do is get myself listed in the New York production Guide for the city and state. Next is, researching the contact info for creative directors in town, as well as the names of people running editing and compositing shops. You're looking for someone who is temporarily swamped and needs to outsource or ramp-up some temporary comp work.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Getting in the VFX bidding
on Jan 24, 2017 at 12:38:10 am

You should also post a FULL profile (emphasis on FULL; don't forget your reel!) in the COW Services directory linked at the top of the page, and check the jobs section as well. There's a lot of activity that passes through those places, and many positions are being filled there.

And hey, once you've gotten your profile at the COW filled out, don't forget to do the same at Autodesk's site! There aren't a ton of listings there, but that's no reason to leave it off your list.

To underscore what Mark said, though, I know you know this, but it's worth remembering that there are ways in which New York is among the smallest of small towns. You have to know people. Make sure that you're plugged into every local resource, including user groups.

Start with the NY Flame User Group, which meets THIS THURSDAY at CineSys-Oceana on Eldridge. Been way WAY too long since I've been in New York, but I'm remembering it's in Chinatown? Thereabouts anyway. A must-do for you, though, in any case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved