FORUMS: list search recent posts

YouTube and music rights

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
YouTube and music rights
on Nov 24, 2016 at 5:28:44 am

I just thought this was interesting, thought I'd share it...

Probably like a lot of people here, we use YouTube. For example, all of the embedded portfolio videos on our own website are actually hosted on YouTube. I resisted that for a long time feeling that YouTube looks "consumerish," but frankly it just really works and works super well.

But... we purposely don't monetize anything, I don't want any ads or overlays or anything on our videos, clean video is a lot more important to me than the fraction of a nickel a year we'd make.

So... I was clicking through some older things we have posted trying to find something, and was quite surprised to see a bigass ad for something pop up right on top of one of my videos.

Well I logged in and scrolled through the Video Manger, and there it was, right beside that entry... something about Ad Management by Such and Such company on behalf of composer Joe Whomever, for music track titled Whatever.

So, I looked up the track that we had used on that commercial production, and indeed that was the composer for the track we used. A track that we paid for rights to use, of course.

I clicked the button that said "Dispute Copyright Claim" or some such verbiage, and in the info dialog box stated something to the effect of that we paid for the use of that track, that is was covered in our yearly contract with the music production company, and if that company wishes to use our videos for their own monetization that they should please let us know immediately so that we may remove the videos and end our association with their company, and make other arrangements for scoring our future productions.

The YouTube auto responder said something like "Your copyright dispute has been submitted. The claimant has 30 days to respond."

I thought "Sheesh, 30 days?" But a few days later I did get an email from YouTube stating "Good news! After reviewing your dispute, AdRev for Rights Holder has decided to release their copyright claim on your YouTube video."

And the ads are now gone.

So... that's the end of that. BUT, I would have never even noticed it, had I not just happened to be scrolling through my own uploads looking for something.

If you use YouTube, you might wanna give that a look.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: YouTube and music rights
on Nov 25, 2016 at 12:28:49 am

Youtube and music is a crazy thing. Yep, I've seen our stuff monitized by others - and it's gotten remedied as you stated. It's worse when a client calls and their video is monitized, or worse, taken down for infringement. This is why I license 1 music library to reduce my admin. An email to my rep and usually within an hour, clients' vids are back up and the video whitelisted from my music vendor. This has happened nearly a dozen times over the years.

We're experiencing other infractions with using youtube for webcasting. For background music and such we use our library, but during a recent event, client decides to play a video with pop songs in it. The stream continued, but afterward on the recorded video, we got the warning of copyrighted material. There's an automatic function to let youtube replace the music which worked for all but 2 songs. Those 2 songs however, restricted playback in 5 or so non-US countries. No biggie for the client. But this is kind of amazing technology.

Using youtube's editing tools, I cut out the beginning of the recorded stream. Music issue gone.

Just 1 more thing to add additional admin time to our days.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: YouTube and music rights
on Nov 26, 2016 at 4:59:44 am

EVERYTHING about digital content on the web is all about the metadata now.

Their tag was embedded in your video via the music use inside your digital file

That auto-triggered the web-bots employed to track down piracy. And said 'bots overlords have NO system for adequately differentiating a use that's licensed verses one that non-licensed - at least not yet.

So everything has to be manually tracked and fixed if a system flag gets thrown incorrectly.

It's very much a brave new data world out there!

Creator of XinTwo -
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved