FORUMS: list search recent posts

What would you charge?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Widgeon
What would you charge?
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:44:26 pm

Hi there!

What would you charge for a instructional Yoga video? I know several threads like this have been created, but I can't find one that exactly covers this. I'm shooting a yoga video that they can then sell to their clients. Should be an hour long, on the beach. Recording audio on site.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
Re: What would you charge?
on Oct 27, 2016 at 1:47:07 pm
Last Edited By Ned Miller on Oct 27, 2016 at 2:00:03 pm

You and this client are twenty years too late. That was the business model in the 80's, pre-internet and digital. Nowadays no one will buy something they can get for free on YouTube. These ideas of vanity videos are driven by the ego of the yoga studio owner and the same can be said of every martial arts school owner, cooking school owner, etc. that us filmmakers meet. They have a burning idea that what they do is unique and they can sell subscriptions, or in the past, DVDs. I field a lot of these inquiries but no one has mentioned DVDs in a few years.

I'd walk away if I were you, or....DO BARTER! Your client does not look at giving free lessons as out-of-pocket costs for her own classes (guest teachers and staff do cost). Plus, you can get gift certificates to her classes and pas out as gifts.

Also, whenever someone wants to shoot on the beach, AND THERE IS AUDIO, that's a red flag. Wherever land meets water there is wind (except at sunrise perhaps) and that's a can of worms, especially with womens hair, plus the wind noise. With yoga apparel there's literally nowhere to hide the transmitter and with movement there's clothing rustle. From experience I can tell you that even the most advanced practitioners sound out-of-breath when trying to speak while doing poses.

Lastly, I bet this is a situation where your client is spending money out of their own wallet? If so, don't get involved. Sometimes, as a micro size business owner, even when you need the money, you have to look at the downside and walk away. Optimism can kill your cash flow.

Stay solvent,

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: What would you charge?
on Oct 27, 2016 at 3:04:28 pm

It must be a side effect of the Cubs games, but I find myself agreeing with Ned more and more often. ?

He mentioned the wind noise, then you also have the water noise of waves on the beach, too. You have the main lighting source, the sun, changing angles minute by minute. To mitigate that, takes reflectors and butterfly scrims, stands and/or grips to hold and aim them. So your project budget needs a line for crew.

The instructor would have to be mic'd using a boom and very directional shotgun mic, which makes wide shots a problem.

If this goes forward, it should be as a youtube video, with ad revenue. DVD sales will be small, and subject to piracy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved