FORUMS: list search recent posts

mac pro

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
johnsabbath d'urzo
mac pro
on May 12, 2009 at 2:47:50 am

I want to get rid of my G5's and pick up a Mac Pro. I'm using FCP and AE a lot with beta sp and have an Aja LHe and also want to move into HD.

Looking at these options. I heard that computer 2 is faster, is this true?

1) Used: Mac Pro 8-core Xeon 2.8GHz, 2GB, 320GB SATA, 16x DL SuperDrive, 256MB Radeon HD 2600 XT $2,899 CDN

2)New: MacPro / One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3GB / 640GB / Bluetooth / NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB $2,749CDN

I would like to sell my G5 Quad and Dual and trade it in for one of these machines.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: mac pro
on May 12, 2009 at 2:56:15 am

Well the 8 core machine is going to be the faster of the two, but you'll need 16 gigs of RAM...2 gigs per core. without it you have a sluggish boat anchor. with it you have a rocket with 8 apps open at a time while you check your email and download files while AE renders and Compressor compresses and DVDSP builds a disc and Toast burns one.

Really.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on May 12, 2009 at 3:33:22 am

FCP doesn't use the extra cores, so for FCP the choice is irrelivant. For AE, the previous post is spot on. Check out barefeats for a good comparison of benchmarks of mac pros. For AE you want as many cores as possible and 2GB per core.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on May 12, 2009 at 11:17:56 am

[moody glasgow] "FCP doesn't use the extra cores, so for FCP the choice is irrelivant"

This is currently true, but I think the consensus is that when Apple finally release FCS3 and Snow Leopard, this could/should be a different story. Plus we can already make use of multiple core processing with Compressor, and I don't know an FCP user who doesn't use Compressor.

Personally I'd want to be buying the machine that I know will hold up better in the months and years to come. As people have said here before, spending a little (or quite a lot) more on hardware isn't a bad thing because our business should be covering those costs long before they're replaced. If it won't then it probably makes more sense dry hiring a top suite as and when it's needed.

All the best,
Alex

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on May 12, 2009 at 3:35:38 am

what do you think about the Nehalem processor compared to last years processor? I will look into the ram price. I heard that Nehalem processor is a lot faster than last years stuff.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on May 12, 2009 at 4:45:50 am

The 2.93 ghz 8-core is smoking fast, but will cost you at least $6K. So it depends on how much you want to spend.
Oh I forgot to mention that the new 4-core systems only have 4 memory slots, another reason to stay away from it.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 12, 2009 at 11:40:37 am

[johnsabbath d'urzo] "I want to get rid of my G5's and pick up a Mac Pro. I'm using FCP and AE a lot with beta sp and have an Aja LHe and also want to move into HD. "

If you're running an G5, unless you're running a G5 Quad 2.5 with PCIe architecture, you're running the AJA Kona LH which will not work in a new Mac Pro. Please tell us which Mac you are running to confirm whether it's an AJA Kona LH or LHe.

As for the new machine, get the fastest machine you can afford with a minimum of 8GB matched RAM.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on May 12, 2009 at 12:11:40 pm

I have an LHe. I saw a used 8 core (older technology) for $2800 and the new quad core with an open box was the same price. Which one is a better buy?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 12, 2009 at 12:23:07 pm

[johnsabbath d'urzo] "I have an LHe. I saw a used 8 core (older technology) for $2800 and the new quad core with an open box was the same price. Which one is a better buy? "

The only used machines I purchase are the refurb units directly from Apple with an AppleCare warranty. Other than that, I will not touch any open box or used items.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 12, 2009 at 12:28:25 pm

[walter biscardi] "Other than that, I will not touch any open box or used items. "

Actually I quantify that further, I will purchase a used machine, but only from someone I know and trust.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on May 12, 2009 at 12:58:20 pm

why wouldn't you get a used machine? Actually I never picked up a used on either i always bought mine new. Is there anything I should look out for? what is the reason that you don't buy used? this is coming from a store as a trade in, should i trust it?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 12, 2009 at 1:04:14 pm

[johnsabbath d'urzo] "why wouldn't you get a used machine? "

Like I clarified. From the Apple Store as a refurb with AppleCare warranty and from someone I trust. Those are the only two places I will get a used machine.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 13, 2009 at 12:31:50 am

I agree with the Apple refurb with Apple Care. Some used machines are just lemons. Something jiggy in the RAM modules or the processor itself. Something quirky in the ethernet card etc. Apple tests their machines before putting them up in the store, but still get the Apple Care and a pile of RAM and you can't go wrong.

Oh, and plan to get an SATA 500gig - 1 terabyte drive to slip into the second drive slot under the main drive. Best $89 you can spend.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on May 13, 2009 at 2:15:36 pm

just wondering would AE 5.5 work on the new quad core? and are there any issues with aja kona Khe? i heard that don't have drivers yet for CS4, is this true?

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on May 13, 2009 at 3:29:58 am

You would think the 8 cores means machine #1 is faster, but since it has a mere 2GB RAM (even less RAM than the quad machine), it won't perform very well unless you dump more $$ into RAM. As everyone has mentioned, you really should have 2GB RAM per CPU core if you want to max out the machine's potential. The more cores and less RAM you have, the lower each core will perform and therefore having 8 cores doesn't do you that much good. If it were me I would go with the 8-core, but budget for a lot more RAM. Can't afford it, get the quad.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]