FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: A Major Motion Picture in HDV

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

walter biscardi
Re: A Major Motion Picture in HDV
on Apr 18, 2009 at 11:50:00 am

[Asmund Voll Tesdal] "Just one thought; how does the cost of extra time spent grading less-than-ideal footage compare to the savings of renting cheaper cams?
"

The camera wasn't the source of "less than ideal" footage. It was the operators. I've seen HDV footage come through here that looks like very low quality DV because they let the whites blow out and the crush the blacks. I've also had HDV footage that looks like high quality HDCAM because the operator knew how to set levels correctly and even enhance the image. The Sony Z1U seems to be the best of the HDV cameras in terms of quality of image.

We use Apple Color for just about every project that comes through our shop as it gives you opportunities to do looks and grades you simply can't do with any other tool on the Mac. I spent no more, no less time on this particular project than I do with anything else. I spent about 1/2 day color enhancing that particular project.

If you're going to do a "major motion picture" you better plan on 4 to 7 days of color enhancement anyway.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]