FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remove everything, but leave drums

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bogdan Marculescu
Remove everything, but leave drums
on May 23, 2018 at 3:22:47 pm

I have an alternative rock song I want to sync with a short film, but I have some problems matching the song drums to the video cuts.

I am using the audio waveform in Premiere to help me understand better where the drums land so I can make the cuts there.
However, because of all the other musical instruments and the voice, the spikes in the waveform for the drums are not evident.

I would prefer to remove everything and just leave the drums, to help me do a spot on editing.

Is there a way to accentuate the drums in Audition?

This is the original song.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11JS-xU7-Jpc-RfdPZgmXd01TwapvN64L

This is my experimentation in removing everything else in accentuating drums, but the drums became muffled and mix in with the noise. The data on the waveform is not that helpful. (please lower the volume when you are playing it)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15SaVh3XZmLbs74aYbdUhOy8foG6YawUt

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Remove everything, but leave drums
on Jun 2, 2018 at 1:26:41 pm

I would play the song quietly in the background and record myself tapping the (snare drum) beat newly on top of it. Then align this reference track on the timeline for editing.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
Re: Remove everything, but leave drums
on Jul 26, 2018 at 3:20:27 am

There is a plugin that will do this, but its a bit pricy, Unmix Drums

You could also try a bit of Transient Enhancing/Shaping, that might help a little, but I don't think Audition has one of those either. Although, looking around, this one is on sale currently, Smack Attack. It's not much, but its not guaranteed to be too helpful either. Effectively with this you want to focus on bringing up the attack portion and push down the sustain. Unfortunately, this may also enhance other attack elements in the song, so may not be that helpful.

Fort any of these plugins to have an effect on the audio waveform, you will need to render the processing, which will ruin the original. So make sure you are doing this on a duplicate.

One trick you may benefit from, though, without having to buy anything is tapping the Marker shortcut key in time with the music as it plays back (the 'M' key I believe). Then just use the markers as a guide and delete them when you're done. Also bear in mind that most music has a static tempo (beat) which means that, if done properly, the markers, or main drum transients, should be equal distances apart.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]