FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting EQ and effects for Fran Drescher

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Coulter
Setting EQ and effects for Fran Drescher
on May 11, 2017 at 6:21:49 pm

I'm editing some video testimonials and I use Audition for the audio. One of the interview subjects has, perhaps, the most irritating voice I have ever heard. Does anyone have any subtle tips or tricks I might use to cut that back a little bit. I know I'm not going to be able to make her sound like, you know, a normal person, but if I could just ease off the nasal a tad it would help. If you've ever heard Fran Drescher talk, it's almost exactly like that.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Setting EQ and effects for Fran Drescher
on May 12, 2017 at 2:50:32 pm

declip, declick, click/pop, parametric equalizer and multiband compression are your friend. heck, if its that annoying, you can pitch shift them!

Return to posts index

Brad Coulter
on May 12, 2017 at 4:21:42 pm

Thanks! I'll give those a go.

Here's what it sounds like by the way.

https://soundcloud.com/brad-coulter/fran

http://www.betherecreative.com

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Jul 18, 2017 at 11:15:26 am

Actually there are certain frequencies that will create that kind of effect. Noise repair tools wont help in this situation.

Generally harsh frequencies can be found around 3-5kHz, sibilance 6-10kHz and the nasal sound around 900Hz-2kHz. What frequencies you address really does depend on the subject.

In general, once you find the irritating frequencies you can use a standard eq to "notch them out" and pull them down a bit. Too much can have detrimental effects to the quality of the audio. Not enough nasal frequencies and a voice can lack presence, not enough harsh frequencies and a voice can sound dull and not cut through enough, not enough sibilant frequencies and a person can sound like they have a lisp.

If you find you need to pull more frequency content out, but it is having a negative effect on the overall sound, then you need to back off the eq till it sounds reasonable and use a dynamic eq on top of that. Something like this for example. They generally don't comes standard so you may have to purchase one.

Return to posts index

Brad Coulter
on Jul 18, 2017 at 9:47:24 pm

Very helpful. Thanks for that. That gives me some things to toy around with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]