FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Audition messed up a day worth of work

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Arvidsson
Adobe Audition messed up a day worth of work
on Mar 29, 2017 at 3:17:27 pm

I imported a vo file that I cleaned up from inhales a couple of weeks ago. Today I addade two extra part to that track by coping and pasting the waves in the timeline. I also continued to ad range markers to it so I could export out all the separate ranges as individual files. It going to be used for E-learning. Everything was going good and I exported all using the range markers.

Under top menu under Multitrack then to Mixdown Session to new File then Entire Session
Select all markers then merge selected markers using comb icon (3rd from left) in Marker panel
Export audio to separate files using 5th icon from left in marker window.

Prior to the export all was great on playback. But after the export one of the newly added parts is spreader in almost all other exported files. What the heck happened.
Audition even wrote this crap over the original file...! (don't worry Its backed up).

I have everything backed up as it was yesterday using Time Machine (forgot to plug the Time Machine disc in today) but for some reason that file is still my original even with the inhales left..
That I wish was atleast gone. Its weird that the inhale is left since I took it out two weeks ago. Still the backup did not contain the inhale free version.

Any good suggestion on how to get it back to yesterdays state with an inhale free version.

Also, what kind of program wants to overwrite the original files every time you save the project???

This time Im blaming the program!!

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Adobe Audition messed up a day worth of work
on Mar 29, 2017 at 3:30:54 pm

[Joel Arvidsson] "Also, what kind of program wants to overwrite the original files every time you save the project???"

All programs overwrite the file you currently have open. If that happens to be your 'original', then all programs overwrite the 'original'. Best bet is to back up the 'original' and create a duplicate to edit. Luckily, all CC programs also save to a different 'Auto Save' file periodically(how often is set by you).

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Mar 29, 2017 at 8:16:25 pm

Premiere does not save over source files, just the premiere file. I have an backup for the source file and an older version of the audition but for some reason all my silenced inhales is gone on that. It was like two weeks ago I went throw and took out all inhales so why isn't they gone in yesterdays backup file??

Where do audition keep its autosave files (I'm primary a premiere guy).

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Mar 29, 2017 at 8:45:48 pm

With Premiere, you are not editing source files, but with Audition, you can, and sounds like you are. Audition also has it's own project file, .sesx files into which you import audio source files. If using this type of editing method, your original source material will not be overwritten, just like in Premiere.

The Auto Save backups are of the .sesx project file, not the original source files, however when you save a .sesx project file the first time, Audition asks if you want all source files to be copied to the folder containing the project file, if they aren't already there. At that point Audition will have given you ample opportunity to have duplicate source files.

If you are editing source files, those source files ARE your 'project files', and the only way that Audition can save any edits is to overwrite that file at each save.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Mar 29, 2017 at 9:13:55 pm

Yes, the .sesx I thought was the only file I was working and saving in. Not the source files. But even if I by mistake over written my source file. I think my Time Machine backup should fixe that...wich is does to a degree. It has my original file that is not messed up. But why does it not have my changes (silenced inhales) in the backup file?

Why would anybody want to mess with there source files? Its beyond me.

I found the Autosave .sesx files but they does not help. Many because I manually have switch over the "over written source file" for the backup...maby I should move back that again.

Since I obviosly messed up the sourcefile, why do I get the same problem when copying both .sesx and source file from time machine? It should be like yesterday?

I think its will go faster to redo the alla again than solving this, but I'm afraid I will get the same problem if not solving
the root of the problem.

Thanks Steve for trying to shed some light.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 30, 2017 at 5:17:11 pm

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate your info. I've been somewhat reluctant to work much with Audition because I haven't really understood from the documentation what happens with files and whether the activity is really nondestructive. It seems when I use Dynamic Link that Audition/Premiere put a new file with a different suffix in the Premiere timeline. Where did the original go? Is it around somewhere and can I restore it?
Please let us know if there are any references or tutorials you can point us to that would explain what is happening with the files. Most explain just "how to" do something but not "what is happening."
I'm getting from your post that maybe Audition creates a project file that it modifies, somewhat the way Premiere creates project files that it modifies not just with edits but with EFX, titles, etc. Maybe in Audition there are project files and clip files that get modified depending on how you are working? I wonder--and if the original clip files are still findable in the Premiere project panel.

Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Mar 30, 2017 at 7:42:40 pm

There is no 'Dynamic Link' between Premiere and Audition. There is 'Render and Replace'. If you perform this on a video clip, Premiere exports an audio file and replaces the video clip's embedded audio on the timeline. During 'Render and Replace', Audition does not create a 'project file'(.sesx), it simply creates a new audio file.

The video clip itself hasn't been changed, or moved. By default, Audition saves the newly created audio file alongside the video clip it was created from.

Nothing is 'happening' to the original source files, they are exactly where they were before, and haven't been changed. You now have a new audio file - WAV for Windows and AIFF for Mac, I believe.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 31, 2017 at 9:51:58 pm

Thanks, Steve. I'm getting that 'Dynamic Link' is the term used for AE exchanges, not for Audition.
And yes, in the edit menu I see 'Edit in Adobe Audition' as the available option. 'Render and Replace' appears as a fleeting onscreen notice while this is happening.
Opening and saving an audio file, I'm prompted the filename plus 'Audio Extracted' and this new file name (which is a .wav file on my Mac) appears in the Project Panel along with the original .mov file.
So that seems to demonstrate that a clip edit in Audition is nondestructive, in the sense that it creates a new edited audio file in Pr CC alongside the original clip.
I've been experimenting with audio editing in Pr CC directly but have found that audio level changes are not always easily reversible.
More to be revealed . . .
Thanks, and I appreciate your help.

Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]