FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere to Audition for final mix down - MULTIPLE QUESTIONS

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Ricker
Premiere to Audition for final mix down - MULTIPLE QUESTIONS
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:29:02 am

FCP/Soundtrack Pro background

Im trying to find out the best way to approach my audio when considering i'll be sending it to Audition for its final mixdown.

Some of the issues I have come across I'd like some advice on are:

1. Lets say audio track 1 is all VO from 3 VO artists, how can I apply individual compressions/limiters etc to each VO talent. In Soundtrack Pro I can simply lift and stamp effects from 1 clip to all other clips from the same VO talent, even if they were on the same track. Is there a way to apply effects from 1 clip to multiple other clips in the multitrack view?

2. There is no way to take a noise print and apply it to multiple clips in multitrack view. Infact as far as i've seen you only have the option to do noise prints in waveform view. This leads me to believe I'd have to put individual VO talents onto separate tracks. Export a .wav for each track. Bring into audition and apply noise reduction as desired, re export out as a .wav and bring back into premiere. Ready for a final mix down..... Seems strange I cannot do this directly in the final mixdown as is possible in Soundtrack Pro

3. Auditions effects library is lacking and so I find myself exporting a preview of my edit (I usually do rough audio levelling in premiere) to then bring into Soundtrack Pro to create a SFX track through its extensive library. I then bring this track back into premiere and then send the whole Sequence to Audition for the final mix down. This is not a bad solution to Auditions SFX library, but was curious if anyone else had other ways of doing the SFX?

4. I understand how to use automation to control various attributes of effects (mainly the mix "wet/dry") of effects in the effects rack on a TRACK. But how do you control effects on the effects rack for 1 SPECIFIC CLIP? I understand I could apply the effect to the whole track and only bring up the mix for that effect for that 1 clips duration, but I wondered if there was a way of controlling an effect for just the 1 clip. Waveform editor for that 1 clip didnt seem to allow automation of the effects on that 1 clip?

If I can get help on these few issues i'll be most appreciative!

Return to posts index

Tim Parsons
Re: Premiere to Audition for final mix down - MULTIPLE QUESTIONS
on Feb 6, 2013 at 4:24:49 pm

Audition is not quite like SoundBooth, so you will have to adapt your workflow. In my experience, it's been best to send individual clips to Audition from Premiere. This is especially good if there is any possibility whatsoever of changing your video edit. You can send multiple individual clips, edit them (be sure to save presets for Suzy, Joe, and Billy so you can quickly repeat the processes), and save them. That way, you don't have to mess with Multitrack (it's already multitracked in Premiere). As far as noise print, you'll have top do it to each clip, but so long as you do clips that have the same noise one right after the other, you shouldn't have to re-define the noise all the time.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Durin Gleaves
on Feb 21, 2013 at 7:17:09 pm

Some quick suggestions:

1. Audition supports both Track and Clip effects, so you can have track-level effects that affect every clip on the track, then clip-specific effects that only apply to the clips they are assigned. While Audition doesn't support Lift/Stamp between clips, You can easily create a preset for each talent, then apply it to each clip. Of course, this may be easier if each talent is assigned their own track and the effects are track-level. You could then route the output for each VO track to a VO Bus track, and apply any group effects and automation here.

2. The Noise Reduction effect is a destructive effect (changes the physical bits of your audio files) and is not applicable to Multitrack sessions. While you could certainly apply NR to each individual clip, you may want to try the Adaptive Noise Reduction effect, which is real-time complaint, although it may be a bit of a CPU-hog if there are several instances running. If you go this route, I'd suggest enabling the "Track Effects Pre-Render" by toggling the lightning-bolt button in the Effects Rack. This will kick off a background render of the track and will keep this up-to-date when you make any change to the tracks effects or parameters.

3. I'm not sure if Soundtrack Pro's SFX library is accessible outside STP, but you should be able to bring just about any file format into Audition (or Premiere)

4. You can automate clip effect parameters in a similar method to Track envelopes. At the top-right corner of a clip, you'll see a drop-down arrow. If you click it, you can select which clip parameter you want to automate via on-clip envelope. If you have added Clip effects, these will be displayed in addition to the standard Volume, Pan, and Rack Power state parameters.

---
Durin Gleaves
Adobe Audition

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Mar 7, 2013 at 11:44:29 pm

Thanks for the help guys!

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 660

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved