Sapphire Light3D Aliasing Problem

COW Forums : Genarts Sapphire

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
goron boron
Sapphire Light3D Aliasing Problem
on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:11:15 pm

Hey guys,

i got some massive aliasing problems with the Light3D
Node. Actually it works perfect, if there wouldn't be the heavy aliasing problem.

I'm rendering a normal pass out of maya and using
that inside Fusion as a normal layer.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

cheers

Return to posts index

goron boron
Re: Sapphire Light3D Aliasing Problem
on Feb 23, 2012 at 3:33:13 pm

Perhaps i should mention that i'm talking about alias problem inside my objects.

So it's not the silhouette ( outline ) problem.
Imagine you have a plane on the street
So what i'm talking about are alias problem inside my object
like the outline from the windows and so on.

It seems that the Light3D Node adds some heavy edges to
the final image. Perhaps i have to use a coverage pass
but that's something i want to avoid because that
would totally destroy my workflow.

really looking forward to your help guys

Return to posts index

Katie Lyon
Re: Sapphire Light3D Aliasing Problem
on Mar 7, 2012 at 12:32:32 am

Hi Goron,

I think we already addressed this problem through our support pipeline, but I just wanted to share the answer on Creative COW in the event anyone else has this issue as well.

The issue here is that your fine details along all the car seams are so small that they aren't represented well in the normal map. They are sharp edges that are smaller than their pixel representation in the normal map which means there just isn't enough data for Sapphire to work with.

So there's a few things that you can try to overcome this:
- Turn up highlight size. This will give Sapphire a larger tolerance at the edges for what should be bright
- Add some diffuse lighting. Right now you have this turned off, but even a small amount of diffuse lighting helps soften the sharp edges of the specular highlights
- Highlight brightness down
- Output your normal map at a higher resolution - say around 4k. This would get higher resolution data to Sapphire.
- Try applying Sapphire Blur->S_Median to the normals map to see if adding a filter to take the extremes helps.

If you try the median filter solution in addition to the diffuse lighting, I might do the diffuse lighting in one pass (without the median filter) and the specular highlighting in another pass with the median filter and add them back them together afterwards.

However, it's possible that even at high resolutions the creases are just too fine, in which case lighting it in Maya where there's no data loss is your best bet.

If you need any further clarification, please feel free to contact our support team.

http://www.genarts.com/support/form

Thanks,
Katie
katie [at] genarts [dot] com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]