FORUMS: list search recent posts

General Previewing problem with Sapphire on AE CS4 Mac

COW Forums : Genarts Sapphire

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Seymour
General Previewing problem with Sapphire on AE CS4 Mac
on Feb 3, 2009 at 4:10:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying out a version of Sapphire to see if I like it (2.06). I like what the effects do, but I've had a LOT of problems trying to get them to run reliably on a Mac Pro with 14 GB of ram and After Effects.

1. Initially the plugin enables me to preview in my workspace window, but as soon as I start messing with the settings keyframes etc, then I lose my preview and the screen goes black. If I turn off the effect the preview comes back. If I ram preview with the effect on then I get a preview back. Is there something I'm doing wrong here, or is this a bug in Sapphire?

2. When I render I occasionally get black frames and some really weird artifacts that have a kind of 2 frame fluid/melting of the image effect.

Anyone have any idea why this is playing up, or are these effects too unreliable and belong in the bin (regardless of how potentially good they are, reliability and a lack of time consuming fiddling around to make these work is necessary for any professional)

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Gary Oberbrunner
Re: General Previewing problem with Sapphire on AE CS4 Mac
on Feb 4, 2009 at 9:27:32 pm

Hi, Robin. Sorry to hear you seem to be having trouble with Sapphire. Please send the Sapphire log file from /Applications/GenArtsSapphireAE/config/s_log.text to support@genarts.com and explain the problems you're having, and we'll see if we can help get you going. If you can send a screen shot of your problem #2 (the fluid/melting one) it may help us diagnose the issue.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

robin stanza
on Mar 16, 2009 at 9:37:10 am

I have this same problem in AE CS3 and final cut on a mac, did you find a solution in the meantime?
The only one i found is switching the vignette off and then when i render the final production, restart the corresponding program and turn it on (this only works in AE), which for previewing is a bit of a hazzle.

Return to posts index

JezzFush
on Feb 5, 2009 at 4:07:06 pm

I too am having this problem (in both AE and Final Cut) and have decided that this set of plugins is not for me. I am running the trial version (2.06) on a MacBook Pro. Glad it was just the trial and I hadn't forked out the $2,800 to buy. I know they are supposed to be good but I just can't afford the down time stuffing around with buggy software.

Return to posts index

Gary Oberbrunner
on Feb 6, 2009 at 1:46:33 pm

Hi Jezz; I believe we spoke on the phone yesterday. I'm afraid I didn't get the log file you sent; please feel free to resend it and we'll take a look and make sure everything's OK on your system. I recommend using the FxPlug (native FCP) version on Final Cut, as you get a smoother experience. The same Sapphire license will work for both versions. You can download it from http://www.genarts.com/download-sapphire-fxplug.html.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

Gary Oberbrunner
on Mar 16, 2009 at 7:31:38 pm

Hi Jezz; let's see if we can get this figured out. Please send the Sapphire log file from /Applications/GenArtsSapphireAE/config/s_log.text to support@genarts.com and explain the problems you're having, and we'll see if we can help get you going.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

Karel Hurych
on Mar 10, 2009 at 3:26:40 pm

I have trial ver. of Sapphire 2.07 and AE CS3 and have the same problem and in FCP with FX-plug too
Karel

Return to posts index

Robin Seymour
To the management of this forum
on Mar 17, 2009 at 7:28:18 pm

I have an objection to the nature of the responses on this particular forum.

Creative Cow has always been a place wherein video users could share their experiences with one another and openly discuss their experiences with one another. From great to abysmal and everything in between. It's a place where we share our problems and solutions and try to help each other out.

Most of the responses on this forum are encouraging users to email Genarts directly. This undermines the nature of this forum, and completely bypasses the principle of shared experience that has in the past made creative cow so great.

Genarts I have no intention of emailing you directly regarding this matter or any other. It is clear from my post and others that this is a serious problem and not a one off. If you can address it, please do so on here, for all to see and benefit from.

It would seem that the plugins are quite buggy, in this instance - previews, I look forward to you providing a solution or suitable upgrade if you can on the forum for all to see and either benefit from or to understand the limitations of your product so that they can make informed decisions as to whether to use it or not.

Return to posts index

Gary Oberbrunner
Re: To the management of this forum
on Mar 17, 2009 at 8:28:57 pm

Hi Robin; I'm not the management of this forum, but perhaps as VP of engineering at GenArts I can explain. I'm sorry you feel I'm not being helpful. We prefer if people email us with support problems like this: we can usually help them better that way because we can track them in our support system to make sure the issue is resolved correctly, put the affected projects into our regression test suites, see if other users are having similar issues, etc. I'm hoping this forum will be used to share experiences between users: tricks, ideas, images, suggestions, news, and interesting tidbits. Problems are of course welcome here too, but as I said if you email our support folks you're certain to get a prompt resolution.

That said, if you'd prefer to post the information here, I'm happy with that. Please post a sample project that reproduces the problem and I'll take a look at it, and others can try it as well. You (or anyone else with this problem) might as well email me the logfile anyway so I can see if there's something in your system configuration that's different from people who are having success. This forum, so far, is the only place where I've heard of this type of problem, so I'm not sure what to make of it. We haven't seen the problem ourselves, and I'd like to get a handle on it.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

Gary Oberbrunner
on Mar 17, 2009 at 8:33:37 pm

One other thing: if you're uncomfortable emailing us, please post a screenshot or QT of the fluid/melting artifact here so I can take a look.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

Robin Seymour
on Mar 18, 2009 at 12:30:12 am

Thanks Gary, I appreciate your helpful response. I'm not averse to emailing you. I just think that taking the correspondence away from the forum is unhelpful for the rest of the 'community'. Apologies if my previous message was a bit strong!

Return to posts index

Aleksander Rotner
on Jul 17, 2009 at 2:04:58 pm

Hi Robin, has this issue been ever resolved? There is nothing after your last thread. I have the same problem with Sapphire

AleksanderR

Return to posts index

Gary Oberbrunner
on Jul 17, 2009 at 2:32:47 pm

Hi Aleksander. I don't think we got a log file from Robin; at least I don't see anything in our tracking system, perhaps it was resolved by phone. You're welcome to send us the log file as well (in fact I would encourage it, since it's our best chance of helping you), or post any helpful info to the forum that would help us diagnose this problem (screen shots, particular comps or plug-ins that it's happening with). Please let me know how we could best help with this.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

Robin Seymour
on Jul 20, 2009 at 5:43:18 pm

Due to time constraints on the project I was working on I found an alternative solution, so I didn't get round to sending a .log file, I'd still be interested to know what the problem was and if any subsequent updates have resolved it.

Thanks all

Return to posts index

Gary Oberbrunner
on Jul 20, 2009 at 7:29:54 pm

Robin writes:
I'd still be interested to know what the problem was

and I'll just say, "me too!" If you are experiencing a problem like this, please do not hesitate to let us know, either on this forum or via email to support@genarts.com and we will be more than happy to begin investigating it.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

Jack Myers
on Feb 21, 2010 at 4:39:57 pm

I had the same problems using Sapphire on a station at work. I was using the Film Damage plugin, and it would just randomly go to black up to the point that I had to finally stop using it. This is a very real bug, Sapphire, please fix it.

Return to posts index

Phillip Gibb
on Apr 2, 2010 at 8:47:04 pm

darn it,

I too have been trying to find a work around to an artifact bug I have in the GenArts Sapphire plugins for Shake.
In my case I am using the S_Distort Node and get pink/purple artifacts for my efforts.
I am left with the only option to try remove the purple after the fact.

here is my purple.png for good measure

Phill

http://synapticlight.com
MacBookPro 2.5GHz, 4 GB RAM
Final Cut Studio 2
Shake 4.1
Photoshop CS2

Return to posts index

Gary Oberbrunner
on Apr 2, 2010 at 9:26:00 pm

Hi Phill; I don't see the purple.png you posted. Also please post (or send) your shake script.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

Paul Redgrove
on Apr 21, 2010 at 9:40:45 am

Howdy all

I too keep having problems with Sapphire plug-ins rendering to black. Could someone please post a fix for this that we can all utilize it?

Hey Mr Genarts great set of filters but unless you get this bug resolved I'll be trashing mine....

Cheers

Paul

Paul Redgrove

Return to posts index

Gary Oberbrunner
on Apr 21, 2010 at 12:09:51 pm

Hi Paul; an expired trial of Sapphire will eventually render watermark over black. If you have a Sapphire license and this is still happening to you, please email support@genarts.com and include your contact info, and we'll help you out. I tried to look up your license in our system using your name, but didn't find anything.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

Josh Prescott
on Jan 17, 2013 at 1:49:53 am

Hey Gary, Thanks for taking the time to respond to people here on the forum. No doubt alot of them will not send their log files because of the questionable legitimacy of their product. I however have JUST started the trial after formatting my OS drive. No registry remains, everything ruled out. And I can confirm on a CS6 setup with either a Kepler GPU or a Fermi GPU the Film Damage / TV Damage filters do eventually just show nothing but a black screen after applied a few times.

I honestly think it has some bug where it doesnt utilize the memory or some process correctly. My workaround has been to make a series of presets in AE and Premiere. Then when I drop a clip to the timeline in premiere, add the preset filter BEFORE rendering it. Then "render entire project" or whatever you use to render. ( I have mine set to "R" ) Once rendered, the clip should play fine in the output window.

If i have changes to make to it afterwards, it usually crashes to blackscreen and Ill have to restart Premiere. Closing the project isnt enough. The program has to reload the plugins again to get a preview back.

I appreciate that you would want to work on this on an individual basis. But this IS a problem with more than just a handful of people. Luckily with Adobe there are 100 ways to do the same thing. I can accomplish alot of these effects with a combination of magic bullet, shake, blur , glow , etc.. I just really enjoyed the Edge filters saving me time. But if I have to restart the editor each time, it hardly makes a difference in the long run.

I am running windows 7 64bit with over 20gb of ram. Sandybridge i7 2600k. os on the SSD. The standard editing/gaming rig.
The footage used has varied from mp4's from youtube to lossless avi files. Various framerates, resolutions and aspect ratios.

I have done my work ruling out what it can and cannot be. Used different computers and still have come up with the same result. I will gladly post any screenshots I can. But honestly how hard is it to imagine a blackscreen where a clip with your filter working used to be? There is no watermark there is no footage, nothing.

I am a pro editor
Just as I am sure you are a pro at what you do.
If I have people telling me something is wrong with something I made, I immediately make a test environment based on what they are complaining about. Perhaps you should setup a computer with our conditions and download the trial and try yourself using some of our content.

I would have posted a whole new thread for this for windows but I figure if this is happening with mac users too, then what more is there to narrow down here?

Return to posts index

Donald Johwa
on Jan 17, 2013 at 7:03:58 pm

Hi Josh,

To better assist you, can you please contact our support team at "support@genarts.com"? We look forward to assisting you.

Regards,

Donald

Return to posts index

Josh Prescott
on Jan 19, 2013 at 12:00:47 am

Donald,

I actually think you guys missed the point of the forum post.
THIS is the place to talk about these sorts of problems. I didnt buy your product, I was trying it out. I don't feel there is anything you can say in email that cannot be said here. If you would like me to screencapture a video of exactly what your plugins are doing, then great. Otherwise everything you read in my previous post would be EXACTLY what you would get in your email. So how bout addressing it so we all can have a solution at once?

I dont require the support these others do. I can easily re-create all these. I am just confirming for everyone else on here that there is an actual problem with your product. And offer any solution I can to fix it or workaround it. Which is more than I can say for your company representatives.

This "assisting me" im sure consists of sending some logfile with probably NO useful information in it. Because the plugins do NOT crash or ERROR out. They just simply stop displaying.

Jumping through support center hoops only to be told that its probably "our" fault is not really what this post is about. You have many people here with different setups all confirming the same thing. Its not rocket science.

Thank you however. I realize that if this is the level of support one can expect with Genarts over a widely confirmed bug, I am better off knowing during the trial.

I think later on I am gonna take a video showing exactly what this does. And on different computers.
Normally I never post about these matters but when I see a company like yours wanting to play email tag rather than just help many people at once, it kinda disappoints the rest of us.

I would have taken you up on your offer to email you. But honestly, if even 2 out of the many people here did email you and got a solution, im sure they would have posted it. So I am guessing it will resolve nothing.

As for everyone else, good luck with these plugins.
The workarounds required to get these to work for a full project is not worth the hassle. Id personally mix Red Giant's Magic Bullet Looks with Boris Fx for a more stable solution.

Seeya

Return to posts index

jonas n bär
on Mar 7, 2013 at 1:13:02 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm working in an agency right now and experience a problem which you described above.
As I was googleing around, I found someone who uploaded a Capture of exactly this problem:

The client I'm working for has restrictions for TCP-Traffic; as far as I know they only allow communication via FireFox & Port 80. Could this be a problem that your Plug-In needs to be connected?

Thanks & bye
Jonas

(AE CS6 / Sapphire 6.14)

Return to posts index

Gary Oberbrunner
on Mar 11, 2013 at 8:04:23 pm

Hi Jonas;

Generally this problem is caused by using an unlicensed or incorrectly licensed version of Sapphire. I am sure that is not the case here, but usually in cases like this, the next step is to look up the licensing information in our database and then work with you directly to resolve the issue (which can be as simple as reissuing your old license). Hence, drop us a note with the license information at support@genarts.com and we'll make sure this gets fixed.

Thanks
Gary

Return to posts index

jonas n bär
on Mar 11, 2013 at 8:25:51 pm

Hey Gary,

thank you very much for your response; I know it is a legal license but I will forward your answer to the IT-Guys; as my job had to be completed last friday I can't do anything for them anymore.

Thanks again and bye,
Jonas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]