Reuben Lemer
Sapphire 2007 reel how to?
on Mar 24, 2008 at 6:03:28 pm

I've been watching the 2007 sapphire customer reel:

http://www.genarts.com/genarts-demoreel-qt-large.html

and would love to know;

a. which part of the effects I'm seeing was created using Sapphire
b. how do I recreate these effects in ae

I've had a look at the free online tutorial, and it explains alot, but not how to do the effects in the reel, can anyone point me to a good tutorial source which explains how to make these effects in after effects?

Thanks,

Reuben

Return to posts index

Gary Oberbrunner
Re: Sapphire 2007 reel how to?
on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:14:05 pm

Hi Reuben; there's a lot of stuff on our reel! What effects in particular are you interested in?

-- Gary

Return to posts index

Reuben Lemer
on Mar 28, 2008 at 1:18:55 pm

Mainly the character separation... i.e. when the cloning happens and one character 'falls out of' the other character, also the cylindrical prison when the man is stuck in the middle? And lastly when two characters walk through each other. Oh and a suggestion for the next reel, show what Sapphire did and what it didn't, because I'm pretty sure Sapphire didn't do all of the animations. I can see that there's lots of glinting and glowing going on, but those effects I'd like explained please :)

Thanks,

r4z2

Return to posts index

Gary Oberbrunner
on Mar 28, 2008 at 4:45:08 pm

Hi, Reuben. I won't be able to answer for sure because all of these clips are from customers so we don't get all the details.

To make a character split in two you'll have to shoot both versions and roto one character out, then fade them in at the right time. Maybe a little morphing in the fade to make them match up while they're splitting. In the shot with the blonde in the black dress who pulls her head off and splits in three, I think there's some S_Distort in there and maybe S_TimeDisplace.

In the street scene where the two guys walk through each other, probably one or both are shot on greenscreen, then BlurMotion and Distort and some Glow applied to the characters' collision points (with some cool masking -- maybe using S_Clouds), then comp over the bg.

Don't forget a lot of Sapphire plug-ins get used in ways that aren't obvious: Matte Ops, Edge Flash, various color corrections and grain tools and so on get used a lot but you can't easily point to them in the final comp.

And I love the before/after kinds of shots too; we use those when we can get them.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]