FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seamless loops with Warpbubble2

COW Forums : Genarts Sapphire

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Barrow
Seamless loops with Warpbubble2
on Jul 23, 2006 at 12:18:26 am

I'm having trouble making a seamless loop with the Sapphire plugin, Warpbubble2. I can't seem to find any values for Speed X or Shift Start X that will return to the original warp to complete a seamless loop. How can I get the warp to come around to the starting values? Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

GaryO
Re: Seamless loops with Warpbubble2
on Jul 24, 2006 at 2:02:29 pm

Hi David. Interesting question! Normally WarpBubble etc. are designed to "go on forever" without looping. But if you want to make a loop, you could do it like this:

Set the A & B speeds to zero (no auto-animation).
Animate the A & B Shift Start X&Y params around in a circle using keyframes. You could even have the A go around twice while the B goes around once (or make a figure-8 or whatever you like), to disguise the circularity somewhat.

As long as the speeds are zero and the shifts end up where they started, you'll get a nice loop.

Hope that helps!

-- Gary

Return to posts index

David Barrow
on Jul 24, 2006 at 3:23:20 pm

That's a good suggestion, only the apparent direction of the flow would go one way and then the other. I was trying to make a loop that looked like water flowing in a certain direction. If the X or Y value goes up toward a central keyframe and then back down toward the ending keyframe, the direction will reverse. I was looking for a way to keyframe a constant movement in on direction that repeats.

Does whatever equation the distortion is based on never repeat? I guess it is some kind of fractal, but some of the other fractal-based effects (like fractal noise) can repeat.

Return to posts index

GaryO
on Jul 24, 2006 at 4:41:23 pm

Actually all our fractals and noise-based effects go on forever and never repeat. It's a feature :-)

But here's another idea that ought to work for you (I tried it in After Effects and it looked pretty good):

Set the A and B shifts to both move in the direction of your desired flow. Turn both speeds to zero so you have total control over the shift.

You'll want to animate the Amplitude and Shift Start of A and B, like this:
Make A Amplitude go from 1 at the start, to 0 in the middle, and back to 1 at the end.
Make B Amplitude go from 0 at the start, to 1 in the middle, and back to 0 at the end.

Then for the Shift Starts, the trick is to reset them where their amplitude is zero like this:
for A Shift (use X & Y as desired): start at 0, ramp up to 30 in the middle, then on the very next frame set to -30, then ramp to 0 at the end. Note that the sudden reset is right where the A Amplitude is zero.

For B Shift, just ramp it from -30 to 30 over the whole timeline. In your loop it will also have a sudden reset (at the end), but the B amplitude is zero there so it'll look smooth.

This is all easier to show than to explain! And of course the values above all depend on the exact look you want; if you're using AE then expressions can be very useful. Email me if you'd like more details.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]