FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sapphire for newbies?

COW Forums : Genarts Sapphire

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Fitzwater
Sapphire for newbies?
on May 22, 2006 at 12:14:57 am

We recently purchased Sapphire V2 for Adrenaline. I've imported a PSD with layers (all with alphas) which I've collapsed. I'm trying to use dissolve/diffuse to transition on each element with no success. This transition does not have Apply to Title as an option. I've tried alt drag effect, I've tried drag effect and alt drag Make RGBA, I've tried dragging the effect and the best I've gotten is what appears to be the beginning of the effect but I can't seem to modify it.

Are there any tutorials or other learning materials? I've been on a DS for the last few years so I'm trying to wrap my mind around the Adrenaline way of thinking.

Thank you,
Jay

Return to posts index

GaryO
Re: Sapphire for newbies?
on May 22, 2006 at 2:07:33 pm

Hi, Jay. You're not alone; because DS is fully RGBA a lot of compositing tasks are easier there. However, what you want to do can certainly be done, and it's not even all that hard on Adrenaline with Sapphire2, just different.

Transitions can't have Apply to Title/Key because the Avid requires transitions to take exactly two inputs, and for an effect to apply as a title/key it has to take three inputs. So you have to do it in steps.

To apply a transition between two titles (or keys, like you have) without affecting the background, first apply S2_MakeRGBA to both titles (that merges the RGB and alpha into a single RGBA super-clip), and add the transition effect between these titles. Then shift-select both sides of the transition (incoming and outgoing) and use the Collapse button on the timeline toolbar to nest them together. Finally, alt-drop S2_Layer on the nest to comp over the background, and you should see the completed effect.

If your Avid allows you to apply effects on filler, instead of collapsing the transition, you can put the S2_Layer on a filler track on top of that (alt drop), and select Background: 2 tracks below to composite over the background.

If you want to also apply other effects to each title or key such as distortions or blurs, use them instead of S2_MakeRGBA above, and select Apply to Title/Key. To wipe on or off a title, just use an all-black title for the other side.

Hopefully that helps get you going! Please let me know if you have any other questions. And don't forget to check our Avid support page at http://www.genarts.com/sapphire-avx-support.html.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

Jay Fitzwater
on May 22, 2006 at 10:33:54 pm

Gary,
thanks for help. I will try it (maybe without the producer looking over my shoulder).

Don't get me wrong. I really like what I've seen from Sapphire. Just ready to advance in time a few months where I can utilitize the power of Sapphire with a producer looking over my shoulder.

Jay

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
GaryO
on May 23, 2006 at 2:06:11 pm

We're also working on a tutorial book with DVD for Sapphire2 for Avid; it's not done yet but we'll let you all know when it is. It'll definitely cover the kinds of question you were asking.

-- Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]