FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Sapphire's Glow that much better?

COW Forums : Genarts Sapphire

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
B.J. Ahlen
Is Sapphire's Glow that much better?
on Jun 20, 2005 at 4:01:11 pm

I use Combustion Glow and some Vegas Glows for interstitials, working only with D-5 and D-1 material.

Is Sapphire's Glow so much better that it's worth $600?

Would be nice to get some feedback on this before taking the time to download, learn and use the trial version.

(I don't really have a use for too many of the other effects right now, although the RackDefocus sounds promising, assuming it looks more like a real lens effect than a Gaussian blur does.)

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
Re: Is Sapphire's Glow that much better?
on Jun 20, 2005 at 4:42:43 pm

There are numerous parameters within the plugin that enables you to tweak the glow to exactly what you want.
I have had excellent results using glow, it really is very smooth.

I would say give the trial version a go, it will only take you 5 minutes to load and you can judge for yourself.

Peter

http://www.peterwiggins.com

At Wimbledon editing for ESPN

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Jun 20, 2005 at 5:26:37 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl then.

Smoothness is under-appreciated in these types of effects it seems, maybe it's just "sloppy math" in some of the other plugins.

I remember in the golden era of very expensive scientific desktop calculators, when companies were mostly battling over who had the most digits in the display. Only a few of them cared about the accuracy of the calculations though, and with limited chip horsepower this wasn't always so easy.

Two companies found an attractive published algorithm for a particular widely used mathematical function, that was fast and accurate for all input values except for "0".

Based on this, one company gave up and used a less accurate algorithm that didn't have a problem with any input value.

The other company used the smart algorithm, except when the input value was "0", in which case it looked up the hardcoded value and displayed this. :O)

It gave them quite a good reputation, and nobody ever figured out how they did it.

(I worked for that company but had nothing to do with their calculators, only heard it over a beer with one of the developers.)

Return to posts index

GaryO
on Jun 20, 2005 at 5:21:09 pm

> Is Sapphire's Glow so much better that it's worth $600?

We think it is! :-)

Seriously, it can do a lot more than the built-in glows, and people say it looks more natural. It's a small download and we've tried to make it easy to install and try out. You get an automatic three-week free trial with the AE/Combustion/FCP version with no watermark or restrictions, so you can use it in production during that time. If you have any questions or comments feel free to email us at support@genarts.com.

And yes, Rack Defocus is an accurate simulation of a real defocused lens. There's a lot more in there as well.

-- Gary Oberbrunner

Return to posts index

grinner
on Dec 12, 2005 at 1:36:08 am

sapphire's glow alone is worth it's price. I use it somewhere in every show I do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]