FORUMS: list search recent posts

Navigation Technique - What Is It?

COW Forums : Web Design (Wordpress, Joomla, etc.)

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Macadamia
Navigation Technique - What Is It?
on Jun 5, 2008 at 6:10:45 pm

I'm a total newbie at web design but am enjoying the progress I've made and am finding a wealth of information and helpful people all across the internet. I am trying to learn about a particular navigation technique, but have been frustrated in my efforts to gather information because I don't know the correct term to use when initialing a web search for what I want to do.

I have seen sites that have, at the top of the page, letters of the alphabet. Each letter is a link to a list of categories and when a letter is clicked, the page moves down to the category corresponding with the letter that has been clicked. For example, if the site was about food and one clicked the "V" key, one would get the "Vegetable" category. If the "F" key were clicked, one would get the "Fruit" category. Instead of clicking, one has the option of scrolling down the page and viewing all of the categories in alphabetical order.

I am familiar with how to link to another page or to a different site altogether but have no idea how to link to a section of a page that one is already viewing. As I mentioned, I don't even know what the particular navigation technique is called. If you can shed any light on this issue for me I'd sure be grateful.

Return to posts index

Rick Macadamia
Re: Navigation Technique - What Is It?
on Jun 5, 2008 at 8:39:11 pm

I'm never sure whether to feel good or bad whenever I find the answer to my own question. Apparently, at least for me, the Cow Forums work much like things did in my old television station days. When a piece of equipment would malfunction I would call on the help of an engineer. When the engineer would arrive the equipment would mysteriously fix itself before the engineer did anything.

So I make this post and then continue my search for answers. Apparently what I've been looking for is called, appropriately enough, a "Page Jump". It appears to be relatively simple. I'm still open to input if anyone wants to add any advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved