FORUMS: list search recent posts

NEED ASSISTANCE: Local media not available

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Burrell
NEED ASSISTANCE: Local media not available
on Feb 19, 2016 at 3:55:45 pm

I am trying to export a project and when I go to export, it says local media not available, and I can't do anything. I have gone to the service monitor multiple times and restarted everything, restarted the computer, restarted smoke, and nothing is fixing it. It's urgent that I get this fixed, and autodesk's website makes it nearly impossible to figure out how to send a support question to them, I keep getting kicked back to the forums, and this question isn't answered there. Please, if anybody has any help, it's urgent that I get this figured out.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: NEED ASSISTANCE: Local media not available
on Feb 22, 2016 at 10:49:09 am

Hi Daniel,

I suggest actually calling support directly to see if they can assist you.

AMERICAS
Phone: +1 (800) 925-6442
Email: me.support@autodesk.com

Was everything working fine before or was this an update and than it started giving you the message.

Have you changed something in your network? Have you tried exporting to a local drive with the network disconnected? Is the media cached? Have you tried exporting to another directory?

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Daniel Burrell
on Feb 22, 2016 at 2:04:14 pm

This wasn't an update, nothing has changed on the network, it wouldn't recognize any local drives so I literally couldn't export anywhere, there were no directories available. We don't do anything on a network, everything is on a local machine.

Unfortunately, or fortunately for us, depending on how you choose to look at it, this did answer a question that we have been wrestling with about whether or not to renew our smoke subscription. There's a lot I like about smoke, but I just can't be doing projects wondering the whole time if I'm going to be able to get them out of smoke when they're finished. I spent a good chunk of my weekend recreating this project in Adobe Premiere because I was just stuck. Autodesk makes it virtually impossible to contact support or find contact information online. Everything sends you to a forum, and it's just so frustrating. It's like they don't want to actually help the people who are paying for their products.

This was just the last of a long string of frustrating experiences with smoke. The next to last was when we were informed that our perpetual license was no longer good for anything past smoke 2015, so we would have to pay $1,000 more a year to keep using it and getting the most recent version, which was never clearly communicated, that those of us who were grandfathered in because we purchased it for $$3,500 when it was available for mac would no longer be grandfathered.

It's just lucky that this project was with an understanding client who extended us some grace, otherwise this could have been a very costly issue that was completely out of our control.

Sorry for venting here, I know you're not the person in control of all of this, but if you have a way to communicate with those who are responsible, you might let them know that this is a huge issue, especially if you want to get this product in the hands of more and more new users who will have to deal with these quirky things that don't make sense, like why a local program relies on network setups to be able to export to a local drive. There's really no explanation of what backburner is and how it works, it's just one of the many things I'm supposed to understand, even though I don't, I just know that it has messed up numerous projects for me because settings seem to change without me doing anything.

So, for now I'll be moving on to adobe. We will see what the future holds.

Daniel

Return to posts index

Yann Laforest
on Feb 22, 2016 at 2:29:38 pm

Hi Daniel,

Can you please contact me offline at yann.laforest@autodesk.com and we will try to sort the issue out?

Best regards,
Yann

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]