FORUMS: list search recent posts

suggested workflow for naming video files

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Burrell
suggested workflow for naming video files
on Jan 20, 2016 at 3:58:47 pm

Just looking for some tips from others editors out there. Just finished up a massive shooting project that has thousands of b-roll clips that need to be culled through and sorted. There is a good chance that parts of this project will be rough edited in premiere, and then sent to me to finish in Smoke. Right now all of the files still have their long original camera names and weird numbers, and need to be renamed. The main questions I have are from others experience, should this be done in finder, or in smoke/premiere after it's imported. If it's done in the edit program, does this cause any issues with relinking the files? And, probably most importantly, if I rename files in premiere and export a XML to bring into smoke, will the file naming carry over, or will it revert to the original out of camera file names when it gets to smoke?

I am going to do some trial and error with this, but won't have a chance to do that for a few days so I'm hoping somebody might have some prior wisdom they can pass on. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: suggested workflow for naming video files
on Jan 25, 2016 at 10:01:48 am

Hi Daniel,

I think both of your methods would work.

If you rename the files in the finder and then import them into your editor, you will be able to track them through the the whole process.

If you import the files into your editor and rename their descriptions, you are only adjusting metadata and not the actual file-name.

When it comes to exporting form an editor into Smoke, an XML should carry across the actual filename as well as the metadata of the descriptions. So you should be able to pick up from where you left off using your descriptions with the original fine names.

My suggestion to you is to do a small test with 3 or 4 clips and try the workflows you have proposed to see which one works best for you.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]