FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere CS6 to Smoke Discreet

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mandla Bolekaja
Premiere CS6 to Smoke Discreet
on Nov 18, 2014 at 3:23:10 am

Can anyone give me a workflow for sending a 2k ProRes timeline from premiere CS6 to a colorist using Smoke Discreet?

MB
MacPro5,1
2.8 Quad-Core,
24 GB Ram,
Resolve 11
CS6, Mountain Lion

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Premiere CS6 to Smoke Discreet
on Nov 19, 2014 at 9:40:28 am

Hi,

You can try exporting an AAF or XML with the ProRes and try import that into Smoke.

Smoke does not officially support XMLs or AAFs from Premiere so there is no guarantee it will work.

AAFs from Avid Media composer and XMLs from Final Cut Pro are supported. It has been known to import the timelines from Premiere into either Avid or FCP and re-export the formats to ensure it will import into Smoke.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Nov 21, 2014 at 2:46:31 pm

[Grant Kay] "Smoke does not officially support XMLs or AAFs from Premiere so there is no guarantee it will work."

PPro does export a FCP XML (they just built on top of FCP6/7's XML code. Granted it doesn't seem to function as smooth as FCP did (which is probably your point). CC has gotten better in this area, but CS6 could be a bumpy ride.

As Grant suggests, exporting from PPro, ingest in FCP7 and then export another XML from FCP7 and send that to Smoke may work "more effectively."

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Mandla Bolekaja
on Nov 21, 2014 at 8:03:12 pm

Thanks for the response.

First, what does Smoke Discreet ingest from nle's?

Also, is it best that Smoke output an xml to FCP7 which then needs to send an xml to PrPro?
Since it does not support an xml I would think it does not export one.

What export would be best for Smoke to send to ingest back into PrPro?

As you can see, my goal is to receive a project from Smoke to bring back into xml.

Thanks

MB
MacPro5,1
2.8 Quad-Core,
24 GB Ram,
Resolve 11
CS6, Mountain Lion

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Nov 24, 2014 at 9:23:18 am

Hi,

Smoke supports FCP 7 and FCP X XMLs and Avid AAFs for import.

We do not support Premiere XMLs or AAFs because Adobe have take the standard formatting from Apple and Avid and made something of their own. There is lots of "unknown" layers of coding added by Adobe in the XML/AAF that is not supported by Smoke. It is unsupported by Smoke but you can use it at your own risk.

Currently Smoke 2015 only supports the export of EDLs to get a timeline back to premiere/fcp/avid. There are options to export AAFs however this is for ProTools and flattens out the video track for preview only purposes.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]