FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke on the New Mac Pros

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig RussillRoy
Smoke on the New Mac Pros
on Oct 31, 2014 at 7:46:08 am

Hi MooCowers,

As the new 5K imacs are out and the GeelBench have them neck to neck with a MacTube, is there any advantage to the MacPro to the 5K ?

We Run SPACE from GBlabs on Ethernet and only work in ProRES HD so bandwidth is fine, most of our comps are not super crazy with Plate tracking and cleanup ...

I also see that FLARE has now made it to MAC in EXT2 2015 - as this is a FLAME cutdown I am only to suspect it is using the same basecode as Flame and made me think on what a interesting development this would make in the post industry if Flame for MAC is finally introduced.

As Foundry is releasing Studio soon and Adobe really creating a solid package it is making me wonder where AutoDesk fits in all this space.

As AutoDesk have always been the leaders in Post and going back to my days in SGI world it was a beast now that SMOKE is in its happy place on MAC and Flame Assist and now FLARE is AutoDesk doing the open source direction on getting it to the masses ? As the price has dropped so much over the last few years and subscription is now accepted into the community is it a case of ripping out the Linux boxes and installing imacs - I think now in the places like MPC, The Mill, ILM and others.

There is always going to be a wank factor or my kit screams but looking at the new processors coming to MacPro Tubes it makes me wonder if Flame was for MAC do you really need the other Products ?

Hear me out - If Flame was say $500 per month for a seat it can edit, it can composite it can conform, so if it is at a price that any Tom Dick and Harry can put together Why not ?

Just a thought - anyway back to my original - is there any massive increase in the operation power between the Tube and 5K ?

GB Labs 60TB SPACE
FCP 7.0.3
FCPX 10.1.2
3 x 4TB Thunderbolt R4
VC100
6 x 2D teranes 2D
4 x BMD Express
3 x ioXT
MicroHub
Ultrascope
SmartView

Check out the free iBook broadcast delivery 101 on itunes

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Smoke on the New Mac Pros
on Oct 31, 2014 at 12:31:07 pm

Any tasks that allow for parallel processing or GPU acceleration the Mac Pro is the clear winner. However, if it's single threaded processes then the discussion becomes a neck-and-neck discussion.

It really depends on what you see each machine doing. I think the new iMacs are great edit stations, especially if you're working with a mezzanine codec like ProRes. But if you get into DNG workflows, heavy color grading, compositing , etc. the iMacs will struggle.

Marco Armet has a good write up about this very question:
http://www.marco.org/2014/10/16/retina-imac-vs-mac-pro

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
on Oct 31, 2014 at 1:06:21 pm

Ah good read Ryan cheers for that

GB Labs 60TB SPACE
FCP 7.0.3
FCPX 10.1.2
3 x 4TB Thunderbolt R4
VC100
6 x 2D teranes 2D
4 x BMD Express
3 x ioXT
MicroHub
Ultrascope
SmartView

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Nov 14, 2014 at 5:40:15 am

we recently upgraded a 2013 iMac Smoke to a Mac Pro 8-core with D700 grfx, and it's a noticeable improvement. I should have done some benchmarks, but I didn't... Not 100% sure it would be worth the costs if you're on a budget (iMac is such a great value with a good screen built in!).

It might pay off if the next version utilizes the 2nd grfx card for background rendering. FLame now does this, so the code base exists, it's just a matter of how many goodies ADSK wants to trickle down to the masses.

As far as Flame for the masses - don't hold your breath. ADSK's new strategy is = Smoke is for the masses (they hope!), Flame is for the high-end facilities, and they'll keep charging six figures for it as long as they can. Quite honestly, it doesn't appear that Smoke caught on with that many people, and I think they realize the market for this type is software is very small. And you can't make money selling hundreds of copies of software - you need many thousands at least, and I don't see many that many people willing to put in the effort and headache for Smoke, and Flame would be just as much effort and headache if not more...

Maybe if Nuke Studio kicks their ass for 2 years, they'll develop a new strategy, but for now, (Full) Flame on Mac ain't gonna happen... You can't even buy Flame Assist or Flare for Mac unless you own a Flame Premium...

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:09:33 pm

Great reply David this is why I love forums !!

GB Labs 60TB SPACE
FCP 7.0.3
FCPX 10.1.2
3 x 4TB Thunderbolt R4
VC100
6 x 2D teranes 2D
4 x BMD Express
3 x ioXT
MicroHub
Ultrascope
SmartView