FORUMS: list search recent posts

black frame issue

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spence
black frame issue
on Oct 22, 2014 at 9:48:37 am

I used flame for a few years and it is pretty straight forward so I know how to use to batch and the old desktop before they changed everything with the latest version. So I got smoke on the mac for home use just to see how it will work in conjunction with avid. For some reason, the batch seems to be ok but the action node is only outputting a black frame. the f1 foreground and f2 background are visible but the f4 output is black. Is it a bit depth issue since none of the nodes have a red dot to say anything is wrong? There are some stability issues also, it is crashing alot on the avid dnxhd codec. I though it might be a resize issue since it converts the footage to 12bit in the cfx and I have to add a resize node to change it to 8bit otherwise it won't let me out of the cfx schematic so I have to force quit smoke.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: black frame issue
on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:13:33 pm

A screen shot would help... It is a bit depth issue.
What is the bit depth of your clips. 8 bit clips should remain 8 bit in CFX. 10 bit and up will get converted to 16 bit.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Spence
on Oct 24, 2014 at 7:21:38 am

The f4 output in the action is just black. It just seems kinda slow on the mac in comparison to how it used to run on linux. I use a few effects in batch and the beach ball spins so I have to force quit it. The mac is a little older with 32gb of RAM and an older quadro but it handles avid, final cut, and after effects with ease.

what's up!

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Oct 24, 2014 at 5:24:50 pm

Well...those do not need anything...
The RAM is fine...but the Quadro , drivers and OS might not.
I ran a couple of flawless productions now on Smoke for Mac and even at home it flies on a new MacPro with Blackmagic video out.
i guess Autodesk intended the use of a modern machine to run an app labeled 2015 Ext1 ?

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.4 - Smoke 2015
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]