FORUMS: list search recent posts

Static Element in Action/ConnectFX

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Burrell
Static Element in Action/ConnectFX
on Jun 20, 2014 at 2:21:57 pm

I am working on building a timeline video, where I will need a thin static green line across the bottom of the screen, where the dates will move below it and the video will move above it. Everything will be happening in 3d space, and it won't be too horribly complicated. This is my transition from different elements of a history video, so I will move from on camera interviews to this timeline during voiceover, and after 5-10 seconds, I will move back to the on camera interview. My plan is to simply place the video and pictures that I want to use into action in 3d space and then essentially just dolly the camera across them, but I need that line to be constant. Is there a way to have the line repeat forever, or should I just make it really wide so I never get to the end of it.

Here is an example of a much more complicated version of what i'm looking to do.

That's a mercedes video, but if you move to about 45 seconds into the video you will see the static timeline at the bottom with everything else moving around it. My line won't be curved, but it's essentially the same idea.

I do want the line to scale when I push in on the Z axis, I just want it to not ever end horizontally. Hope this isn't too confusing.

Thanks,

Daniel Burrell

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Static Element in Action/ConnectFX
on Jun 20, 2014 at 2:59:03 pm

Not sure what other markers there are on your graphic line, but I assume there would be some to show the motion when you dolly.

You could try a few things...

1. Make the line really wide. I think you can go 16000 pixels as an import gfx. 8000 pixels if you build it in Smoke.

2. Make a repeatable graphic, add the image itself as a diffuse map in Action scale it down, you will get a repeat pattern if you set it to Tile or Mirror in the diffuse map settings. Crop as needed. If you move the camera it will still only be affecting the original image map and therefore won't scroll but you might be able to fake all of this with a Global connected AXIS or two, instead of a camera...

3. Duplicate the AXIS attached to your image graphic and link them all to the one image and offset them horizontally to repeat the graphic.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]