FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flame Assist vs. Smoke 2015 which to upgrade too (possible unique situation)

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Gray
Flame Assist vs. Smoke 2015 which to upgrade too (possible unique situation)
on May 5, 2014 at 8:47:32 pm

Before i write this post let me disclose that Brian's article on Premium Beat was very informative. And I am going to post this in the AREA as well.

Here's my question…
We have a Flame Premium here at my shop. However, it is in a facility where my Smoke system never has had a need to access it. Possibly in the future but as for now access to the Flame is not needed.

Based on when we purchased our several licenses for Smoke 2013, since we already own a Flame, we are able to upgrade our systems from Smoke 2013 to Flame Assist.

Are we making the correct decision to go straight to Flame Assist or would we be better off just upgrading to Smoke 2015?

I know there are a lot of details that may be missing from this posting but I will try to be as accommodating with the details as I can be.

Thanks Fellow Bovines,

Justin Gray
Senior Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Gray Planet
http://www.justingraymedia.com

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Flame Assist vs. Smoke 2015 which to upgrade too (possible unique situation)
on May 5, 2014 at 8:55:39 pm

Currently Flame Assist and Smoke 2015 are the same product with different UI's.

With your Flame Premium you get 1 free license of Flame Assist and 1 of Flare.

If you purchased several Smoke's, you might change half of them to Flame Assists to balance out your products.

What do you use your Smoke's for? And they have never needed to share a clip or project with Flame?

As the products update, Flame Assist will become more closely tied to the Flame needs. Archiving, conform, and clip/library management.
One could assume that perhaps FA would get the Desktop workflow that Flames has.

Smoke will evolve to meet the needs of "video Pros", so look for more editing and better XML workflows with other Mac Video products like Resolve and FCPX. SO more editing needs. That is the story we are being told. Time will tell as to how these products evolve.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]