FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMD Intensity / Mavericks / Smoke 2015

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian MacLean
BMD Intensity / Mavericks / Smoke 2015
on Apr 12, 2014 at 1:14:15 am

-I'd like to upgrade my 2008 Mac Pro to an SSD drive (probably a PCI Express card) for the OS, and upgrade Lion to Mavericks. I'm aware Autodesk just said Smoke 2015 would be compatible with Mavericks.
-I'm limited to a couple of old Dell 2408 monitors, so I'd like a better option for color monitoring. I only have the budget to get a consumer LCD TV, and output a Smoke HDMI signal to it. (I'm aware this will not be close to reference calibration, but it will presumably be better than nothing. Please tell me if you think this would be futile, and why.)
-I'm outputing for the web, but I'd like to tune the image to look best for those who will be watching web video on their tv's (hence my interest in having a monitor path that includes YCrCb).
-I can't afford the Kona options, but Autodesk says that Smoke 2013 on OS 10.8 is compatible with BM Intensity cards (Fremont, CA - May 31, 2013 - Blackmagic Design announced today that DeckLink, UltraStudio Thunderbolt and Intensity products will be compatible with Smoke 2013 - http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/pressdetails?releaseID=41356)
-I'm aware I'm asking for speculation, but can I get a best guess as to whether Blackmagic will provide new drivers for Mavericks? And when?
-I also have a Matrox MX02, and found no information as to why there is no driver provided at all. I'm curious as to why. If you have any informed speculation as to whether it's a company feud, or limited resources in one corporation or the other, I'm curious and would like to hear about it.
-Thanks for any help and advice.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: BMD Intensity / Mavericks / Smoke 2015
on Apr 14, 2014 at 10:16:57 am

I can contribute to the confusion...

Smoke 2013 EXT 1 runs very sluggish on Mavericks.
Smoke 2013 SP3 runs very well , performance wise but still has issues.
But the moment you open the preferences with a Blackmagic driver loaded it crashes.
At this point I would just sit tight and wait for 2015.
2013 did run fine on my Old Mac pro with Decklink 3D on Mointain Lion, no need for a Kona.
2015 will be more optimized for all the recent options like MiniMonitors or nMP.

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.0.021
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 24, 2014 at 8:11:23 pm

I can confirm that the 2015 runs very well on mavericks and the Blackmagic Mini Monitor works as expected :-D

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.0.021
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Alex Maranda
on Jul 9, 2014 at 8:31:00 am

I have a slow Hackintosh (identified as a Mac Pro circa 2008) which I upgraded to Mavericks specifically for Smoke 2015.
I have an first release Intensity card (not Pro), and I can confirm the 10.1.2 DesktopVideo driver works fine with Mavericks and Smoke 2015.

One thing that stumped me until I got it right is configuring the BMD interface in Autodesk's Setup utility, which for whatever reason didn't take between reboots, consequently appearing as Off withing Smoke.

Steps:
1. Install DesktopVideo 10.1.x; check it's working with FCPX, Premiere etc.
2. Run Autodesk Setup (I mean the actual Setup utility, not just the install). There's a tab for video interfaces, make sure you have BMD.
3. In Smoke, match the video interface display framerate with what you have set up in the DesktopVideo control panel; e.g. for an LCD TV 59.94i. Interestingly this has no bearing on the Smoke project framerate as it does it's own pulldown/frame adjustment, it worked for 25p projects as well, not only 23.976, with display output set to 59.94i. Set sound sync to follow video interface and not desktop sound; all these are options within preferences.

For an older computer (Q6600/2.4Ghz GTX285 8GB RAM), I found that HD playout (in Smoke 2015) for H.264 and DNxHD is not realtime. ProRes LT/HQ/4444 is fine, with a steady 70% CPU load. The same file(s) generate only 15-20% CPU load in FCPX playout, so it's something with decoding that either Smoke does badly or FCPX does exceedingly well.

For this reason I recommend transcoding all your material to ProRes upon Import. I even began transcoding DNxHD to ProRes, which is stupid but it is what it is.

Return to posts index

Ian MacLean
on Jul 9, 2014 at 6:50:14 pm

That's incredibly useful information, many thanks! I have to find my intensity pro card buried in storage, and figure out where to fit an LCD screen in my cramped workstation area, but that will be a big help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]