FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uncompressed 10-bit and other codecs

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Spivack
Uncompressed 10-bit and other codecs
on Mar 26, 2014 at 10:34:07 pm

I have just been asked to restore an old project. I've done so, and connected some shots to their respective image sequences from our server. I need to export a 422 uncompressed 10-bit file. However Smoke is only offering uncompressed 8-bit.
Is there a way to allow Smoke to export the same quicktime formats that say, FCP can? If I'm in FCP I can hit "advanced" under QT options and navigate to a plethora of options that aren't available in Smoke, but I do have the codecs for these. This was originally done in FCP but the beauty work and other VFX was all deleted since they took up a lot of space. Rather than re-creating this 10-bit uncompressed QTs in Nuke, I'd like to use Smoke to point to them and export the whole thing.
The difference, besides the information being wrong in inspector, results in a noticeable color shift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Josh

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Uncompressed 10-bit and other codecs
on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:49:34 am

Hi Josh,

I'll flag this with the team regarding the codecs.

As for the colour shift/gamma shift, in the quicktime settings you should be able to export with YUV headroom which should correct the problem.

The bigger issue is gamma shifting problems with Quicktime as a whole. This has always been an issue for Apple which other apps have suffered too.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Mar 28, 2014 at 6:38:57 pm

I appreciate the response, Grant.
We're more than familiar with the annoying QT color shift issues, oh are we ever! Thanks for the advice we've played around with the YUV and all that, the major issue is simply being able to deliver in the codec that we originally did the project in, and that is within our available QT codecs on this Mac.
If QT can read it, FCP can read it, and obviously I understand there's something Apple there. The hope would be that any codec FCP can export to, Smoke can too. This is a little out of my league but since Smoke is creating a quicktime player movie, shouldn't it also have access to those codecs in its folder?
Thanks again,
Josh

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Apr 2, 2014 at 8:17:13 am

Hi Josh,

To be honest, there is nothing technical about it.

The issue for the most part is a legal and contractual one between companies. I cannot go into details as I am not in a position to do so but thats the reasons.

It is our intention to support more codecs as we move foreword but I cannot give any guarantees as to what we'll get or when they will come.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Apr 2, 2014 at 5:36:59 pm

Still provides clarity. Thank you Grant!
Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]