FORUMS: list search recent posts

Down Converting in Smoke 2013

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Barton
Down Converting in Smoke 2013
on Feb 24, 2014 at 9:36:01 pm

Hey Everyone,

How do you down convert a 1920x1080 23.98fps sequence in Smoke into a 720x486 D1 29.97? No matter what I try it seems I keep getting interlacing problems.

Normally we make our SDs by resizing and adding the pulldown to the spots in AE. The result is a little soft, but the spots look good and play well through our reference monitor out of Premiere.

Now we want to start making the SDs in Smoke for quality, efficiency and organizational purposes.

So far in Smoke I've tried taking the HD spot, using the resize tool in the tool tab and resizing it to the 720x486 preset using the gaussian setting with the blur set to the default 1, then I use the pulldown tool to add the default pulldown (selecting frame one as my frame before the jitter frame). Once I do that the field dominance is wrong so I use the reverse dominance tool, but that ends up deleting a frame and/or starting the spot on a jitter frame.

I've tried using the export to force the field 2 dominance, I've also exported without fixing the dominance, and I've even exported the corrected dominance version with the jittered first frame.

None of these play well through the reference monitor when imported in Premiere. Is there something I'm missing?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
Re: Down Converting in Smoke 2013
on Feb 25, 2014 at 9:37:10 pm

Aaron,
I've had some interlacing issues before with Smoke, and for us we were trying to deliver a spot at 1920 in 23.98 as well as 720x486 29.97. I had to do a lot of trial and error, and looking back at notes this is what I found was successful:
First, get your 1920 23.98 and add a pulldown using the tools option. Then, after that pulldown, use the reformat right click to change the clip itself to 29.97 Field 2, and resize in the reformat. The resize algorithm is up to you, I prefer lanczos. Also, make sure the field dominance is set to 2.
This worked for us, and if you're still having issues I'll try and get back in Smoke to confirm all these steps.
-Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]