FORUMS: list search recent posts

problem compositing text over solid BG with text back clip

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Burrell
problem compositing text over solid BG with text back clip
on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:50:49 pm

Okay, I ended up figure out how to fix this, but I was hoping someone could explain what exactly is happening to cause this problem.

I am trying to do a simple composite of text over a colored background that is over video. I made a color solid frame and put a gmask on it, and then used a Blend & comp to combine that with the text. Everything works great until I add the text to the blend & comp node, and at that point the orange BG that i'm using gets really bright, partially transparent, and it blows out my white text. I've attached my CFX schematic and the result that i'm getting.

It appears that the problem was rooted in the back clip going into the text, and not bringing alpha from the text to the blend & comp node. Without attaching the blue output/input from the text to the B&C, if I have the back clip going into the text node, I get the bright result. If I connect the blue output/input on the text node, and move the back clip to the green input on the B&C node, everything works great. But, could someone explain what is happening that makes that really bright result simply by having the back clip going into the text node?

this is the schematic that is giving me problems, I haven't included the schematic with the correct result.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: problem compositing text over solid BG with text back clip
on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:36:46 pm

It would be better to pipe your background in to the green input on B&C. Disconnenct it from the TEXT node. Pipe the TEXT front/matte in to B&C.

The default blend for input 1 & 2 is ADD so you might want to change that. This might be the cause of the blow out.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Daniel Burrell
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:01:45 pm

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing to get it to work right, I was just curious why putting the back clip on the green input of the text caused it to blow out like that.

One other question, is there any way to edit text without going into the full text editor? I would like to be able to see the result of my CFX so I can fine tune my text, but when I go into the text editor, since there's no input into the text node, I just have a black background.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:32:56 pm

You will have to set a context on the downstream node.

By connecting your original way you were doubling up the background and text and B&C was set to Add.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Daniel Burrell
on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:10:17 pm

Is there a way to update the back clip, if I just copy and paste the gap clip that this CFX is on? This is a text template that goes through the whole video, it just changes the color of the background and the text. When I see it in the timeline it's right, but when I go into CFX, the back clip is still the clip from the first part of the timeline. To be clear, I just copied the gap clip and pasted it farther down the timeline. For now, I will save my nodes and just create new gap clips and drag my nodes on to them, but I wonder if there's an easier way to do that.

one more question, is there a way to define the length of a gap clip, rather than having it automatically take up the entire space of the gap? I'm moving down the timeline, so it's making really long gap effects.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:19:54 pm

You can mark ins/outs on the timelie and make cuts in the gaps, thsi can define a GAP length for you. You can trim as needed.

Inside CFX there is a BACK CLIP option which will allow your text effect to work like an adjustment layer on the timeline. Just use the BACK CLIP (in I/O) and it will be the clip on your timeline.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]