FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using different sub settings of a font

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Burrell
Using different sub settings of a font
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:41:14 am

I have had a client specify specifically which fonts they want to use in a project. They supplied me with the fonts (ttf), and they have been installed on my computer. When I go in to the text tool, right now just applied to a gap effect, I can change the font to the prefferred font, but it seems to be defaulting to a bold version, and that's not the one that I need. The specific font that they want has about a dozen different options (medium, regular, ultra light, italic, bold, demi bold, etc.) but I can't find a place to choose any of those, it's just picking the bold and I don't seem to have any control over that. So, how do I select one of the other non-bold versions of this font?

Thanks,

Daniel Burrell
Light Productions

Return to posts index

Daniel Burrell
Re: Using different sub settings of a font
on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:40:44 am

I think I have it figured out, although if somebody knows an easier way, I'd love to hear it.

It looks like the font I installed was installed as a .TTC (The C means collection) instead of a .TTF. The collection means that all of the different versions were part of that one font, rather than their own TTF font. So, I found a tool online to convert TTC's to TTF's, and the I downloaded my new font, which once unzipped showed up as about 12 different fonts. So, my font list is much larger, but I can access all of the sub version of those fonts. Also, when I did this, It put the font in my user library instead of the main MacHD library, so in smoke I had to navigate from the default directory to my user directory to be able to see the fonts that were installed specifically to my user.

Hope this helps someone else having the same issue.

Daniel Burrell
Light Productions

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:33:45 pm

Hi Daniel,

I think this has to do with the fact that we don't support TTC and the font tool is quite old and in need of a revamp.

The ideal situation in this case is a font per file which it sounds like you have worked out.

I will make a note to the team so that they are aware of this.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Daniel Burrell
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:44:59 pm

Awesome, thanks for the replay grant. That's what I ended up figuring out, but the ability to choose different types of a font from a drop down menu would save a lot of time in text heavy videos. The project I'm doing now only requires one font, but it uses 3 or 4 differnt variations of that font, so while I did find a solution, it would be a huge time saver to be able to quickly select variations, rather than having to go into the font selection screen and select a completely different font.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]