FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem creating subclips

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Severin Schultze
Problem creating subclips
on Feb 9, 2014 at 11:39:09 pm

I have trouble creating a subclip out of a sequence.
Is there a special command or place where to use the CMD+U shortcut to get a sub clip?
I tried that shortcut within the player or the record area, the timeline
the library, used all buttons without any luck. Is there a specific place where the sub clips
will be stored within the library? I checked and searched the library to
find a sub clip without any luck .
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Severin

DiT | acquisition & workflows

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
Re: Problem creating subclips
on Feb 25, 2014 at 9:46:32 pm

Severin,
Forgive me for simply repeating the steps to make a subclip, but perhaps it will help. Often Smoke, along with other programs, can be very particular that certain things are selected correctly.
Let's say you're in the viewer/sequence mode. Command + U will create a subclick in the library you're in with the clip name and "_Subclip_001" underneath. If you don't have in or outs, it'll be a single frame, and if you do have in and outs, it'll be that selected range. It is important to note of course that the subclip will only be made from whatever area is selected. In the two monitor view, you'll see a white outline around the current selection. Command + U will follow that. If you're not seeing anything, maybe check all your libraries to see if it got stuck somewhere else.
You can also make a subclip from the timeline itself, if say you're not in a monitor mode and you've selected a range from the sequence.

I also love this trick, though it's slightly unrelated. Often I need to duplicate a clip from my timeline, say I have cuts or a layer 2. Holding Option + Shift and dragging that clip to where your thumbnails are (you need to be in thumbnail mode for this) will create a clip in the library with the same name of the clip you've copied.
If for some reason the above reasoning didn't work, this could be a potential, though slower, way.

-Josh

Return to posts index

Severin Schultze
on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:44:04 pm

Hi Josh,

thanks for your response! I tried it. over and over. Sometimes the subclips are burried in the Last used Saufbolden within the library. But I figured that in my case the subclips did not appear because of locked tracks. I locked all the tracks in the final versions to prevent from alter them by accident and tried to get subclips of that sequences.. Unlocking the tracks was helpful. Could'd find that hint on the net.

Best,
s

DiT | acquisition & workflows

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Feb 28, 2014 at 7:54:59 pm

Sorry I didn't think of that either, though it sounds like you had the solution before I replied anyways. Good to know though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]