FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost the framestore drive...what to do ?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Haber
Lost the framestore drive...what to do ?
on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:57:35 am

Hi there,

for some reason I am not able to connect to the managed media folder any longer.
or better, I have to use a new framestore drive.
All the source media is still available , so I was looking for a way to relink or reimport automatically.
I think most of the media was used directly, so not really managed by Smoke EXT2.
In my projects I can still see the thumbnails, but the media is gone and only shows a checker board.
Is there some part of the manual I should read to recreate the stuff or is there a simple function I could execute ?

Thanks in advance

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.0.0.073 , Smoke 2013 EXT
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Lost the framestore drive...what to do ?
on Dec 17, 2013 at 1:54:48 pm

If you couldn't connect to your Managed Media folder... where you renders and cache go, then I doubt you could launch Smoke at all.

The checkerboards means that you did loose the link to the source footage. Now, these may be on the same drive as your Managed Media Folder depending on your config.

If you hold "/" (FCP hotkeys) or "ALT" (Classic) and hover over a clip in the media library you should see the path to the clip. Check to see if the material is still there and didn't move.

There is no way to relink source material.. you can only relink clips in a sequence and that is done via the conform tab.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Robert Adam
on Dec 17, 2013 at 2:28:53 pm

Hi Sascha.

Let's see why Smoke won't connect to the Media Storage folder.
Can you please zip up the log files in /usr/discreet/sw/log/ and attach the zip to the forum? I'll take a look and try to figure out why the storage is not online.

Can you browse to your storage drive via Finder?

Thanks!
Robert.

Autodesk M&E Support
http://www.facebook.com/AutodeskMECF

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:41:42 pm

Ok ok...I deleted it...I needed the space :(
I was under the impression I could recreate the things by using the source media and what I was deleting is merely render and cache files.
I can browse the source files, archives and stock collections for example... but also those are now checker boards.

A slice of color...

Return to posts index

Robert Adam
on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:51:05 pm

Aside from rendered and cached frames, proxies and audio, the Media Storage also contain some .mio text files that tell Smoke where each clip was originally imported from. If you delete those .mio files for non-cached clips, Smoke loses the connection to them and you get the checkerboard patterns you see now.

The "Conform" tab can help you relink the segments in your sequence, but as far as the source clips go, you will need to re-import the media unfortunately.

We do not recommend deleting the contents of the Media Storage folder by hand. The safe way to make some space on it is to disable proxies and use the "Flush Renders" and "Flush Source Media Cache" actions in Smoke. Or even delete projects that you no longer need.

Regards,
Robert.

Autodesk M&E Support

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:51:55 pm

Damn... Robert beat me by :30 sec.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:51:24 pm

In the Autodesk media Folder where you have your cached and rendered files.. there are also some .mio files which tell Smoke where your linked files come from. There are also some .waveform files.

There is a reason they call it Managed media. :) Smoke needs to manage it to make it all work smoothly. :)

If you needed space, you can always flush renders and cache as needed.
It's best to then reboot or restart Smoke so that the Volume Integrity Check can run and free up those frames. This will return some of your storage space.

If you are really low on storage, set your projects up with prores LT, you can always switch to Prores 422 HQ or whatever after you are done editing... and just rerender your final piece.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:18:13 pm

All right, thanks for the explanation...
I did some tests today and closely monitored the managed folder and it all makes sense.
I did not have access to the machine or better its software when i decided to purge the managed media folder.
There is no real harm done, everything has been exported and archived.

But two questions remain.

1. When i use the " Flush renders " Command, can I do that on a root level or media folder ?
So far I only had luck using it on single clips...that takes for ever .
The idea was to get rid of all files created by Smoke during the process and keep the sources created by the 3D guys.
2. Would I be able to use the old project by making a new media library in it, importing all media and hope for automatic relinking ?
Or should I just move on ?

A slice of color...

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:25:19 pm

Yes, you should be able to click on a folder or multiple clips and flush cache/renders for those clips. You don't have to do it one clip at a time. Smoke 2013 Extension.

If you 3D files are in a separate Library or Folder you can cache them or not, and just not flush and renders from them .

2.The only way to relink is when a clip or sequence is open as a sequence. SO you can reimport your sources, and use that folder/library as a source to relink to.

The old sources won;t be accessible to relink, unless you open each one as a sequence and relink that way. Source relinking is a limitation currently and hopefully will be addressed in the future.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Robert Adam
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:52:27 pm

As Brian said, you can select multiple clips in a folder and then right click and flush renders on all of them.
Unfortunately, you cannot do that on the folder itself.

If you have archived your project before deleting the contents of the Media Storage folder, restoring the archive should restore the frames, as well as the .mio files. So you should be able to get those source clips back into Smoke.

Regards,
Robert.

Autodesk M&E Support

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jan 2, 2014 at 2:32:57 pm

Hi guys..

First I would like to thank everyone who gave me tips already and wish you and your families a happy and healthy new year :)

And now the fun starts...

On top of the problem with the empty frame-store I also updated the system to Mavericks when it came out.
We decided to go back and install a fresh Mountain Lion due to the really bad performance in Mavericks.
So right now I am at a point where I have a fresh Smoke in ML and I have the /usr/discreet folder from the other installation.
I tried booting into Mavericks and create some archives but with not too much success.
Is there a way where I can copy certain files and folders from the old installation and start rebuilding in Mountain Lion ?
I now, this is a terrible hack, I promise I will make proper archives the next time but for now i am hoping to get some of the sequences back online.

Thanks
Sascha

A slice of color...

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jan 2, 2014 at 2:51:26 pm

That is messy.
is the /usr/discreet/ folders in Mavericks the same as the original install? Did you just partition for ML and reinstall Smoke? Thereby creating a new /usr/discreet/ folder in ML?

What happens when you try to archive in Mavericks?

Are you projects still viewable in Mavericks?

/clip
/projects/
/sw/
/cfg/

Should be the main folders you would need to retrieve data and clips
But the OS differences many be causing more issues.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jan 2, 2014 at 3:29:15 pm

Ahh... I forgot about /sw and /cfg .
I tried just using the project.db and the two other folders which gave me empty projects.
Yes, I am able to boot into M and also load Smoke and the three projects I am using right now.
The thing is that archiving with empty clips generates a lot of request windows and no process is visible.
The other problem is the terrible performance I am having under Mav...so I thought the back door would be faster, also I dont need to generate more messy data at this point .
I will try to use the other two folders and see how that goes.

A slice of color...

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jan 2, 2014 at 7:42:51 pm

No luck with the two other folders.
But I was able to load the project in Mavericks.
I am trying to archive things now and hope I can reconnect to them when I unarchive in the other system.
I tried that on one shot and it complained about "it lost its setup and cant render or play" .
Oh boy...I guess I know what to do on the weekend.

A slice of color...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]