FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reading Color Information from r3d files

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Spivack
Reading Color Information from r3d files
on Dec 3, 2013 at 9:09:38 pm

This was a problem for me in 2012 and I still see it in 13, however it's possible (dare I say...likely) that I'm doing something incorrect. I hope so.
Basically, I am doing a conform. I have an xml created from red files. .r3d's. This video will go to color so we're going to send them everything in log space, that is to say redcolor3 and redlogfilm.
Smoke defaults to Redgamma3, no surprise. When it does this it's using the "camera" settings in colour science and everything is great. However, I need to adjust that to simply change it to log space. When I do this, and select either "user" or "RSX or User," I can change the color space but not without also losing all the information stored in the camera in regards to ISO, brightness, etc. This is imperative information I can't lose.
I've tested this using Redcine. As expected that program allows me to simply change color spaces without overriding the other info.

Any idea on how to change color space while keeping the additional information?
Thanks,
Josh

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Reading Color Information from r3d files
on Dec 5, 2013 at 8:10:42 am

Sound like a limitation in Smoke.
Did you try to change the color space to RedLog and then truncate the clips to a new file ?
Like that you could convince Smoke to read the RSX with your new settings.
Another idea is , of course, to export to DPX, which is what I prefer to work with, but you might has a reason not to.

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.0.0.073 , Smoke 2013 EXT
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
Re: Reading Color Information from r3d files
on Dec 5, 2013 at 11:55:36 pm

Sascha,
Thanks for the response. What do you mean by "truncate the clips to a new file?" I'm connecting an offline XML of a sequence, and I simply want to specify the specs on how to connect the r3ds--the color space specifically.
Once everything is connected I will indeed export dpxs for our visual artists to work on. But they need to be in the right color space (as I said, to change it from it's default kills all the other camera info tho, moving EVERYTHING to default). Not every shot will be exported as some will just remain on the timeline and be sent as a quicktime in final delivery.
I certainly can't cache the media, an entire projects red files wouldn't be good, and even still it'd have to cache in a specific color space at a specific debayer I'd imagine.
Please elaborate.
Thanks again!
Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]