FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rate Conversion

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Gray
Frame Rate Conversion
on Oct 9, 2013 at 5:14:17 pm

So I have a ton of footage shot at different times. Some 23.98, some 24, and some 59.94.

I'm editing in 29.97. What is the best way to conform all this footage to 29.97?

When importing through the MediaHub, under "Format Specific Options" I have tried changing the "Auto Rate" tab to 29.97. The problem with that is when i import the footage in with this selection the audio drifts waaaaaaaaay out of sync with the picture.

The same is true when I change the frame rate in the "Format options" when the clip is loaded into the Preview monitor.

What I am hoping to avoid is that damn mismatched frame rate warning every time I drop a clip that is not 29.97 into my sequence.

Any ideas? Thank you guys and I apologize in advance for such an amateur question.

Thanks Fellow Bovines,

Justin Gray
Senior Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Gray Planet
https://vimeo.com/grayplanet

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Frame Rate Conversion
on Oct 9, 2013 at 5:32:02 pm

I don't do a lot of frame rate conversions.. but....

If you don't mind the warning then the timeline will auto timewarp your spots to the proper framerate. Both Audio and Video. (I think)

You can use the reformat tool and do it on a clip by clip basis and this will render out new clips.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Justin Gray
on Oct 9, 2013 at 6:37:44 pm

Hey there Brian. Thanks for the response.

Using the Reformat tool, unfortunately, loses the sync with the audio as well. But I did find a work-around.

I went into Tool_Utilities_Convert Rate. I picked the clips in question and created new versions at 29.97. The sync is good and I no longer get that "mismatched frame rates" warning when editing into the sequence.

There are about 50 clips though. And I found that using this method only allows me to convert one clip at a time. Does anyone now how to use the Convert Rate function within Utilities on multiple clips at once?

Thank you again for your input.

Thanks Fellow Bovines,

Justin Gray
Senior Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Gray Planet
https://vimeo.com/grayplanet

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Oct 14, 2013 at 6:42:18 pm

Often we have to convert 23.976 to 29.97 and I utilize the pulldown features in Smoke. There are two ways that I've discovered to do this:
The first is to go to "tools" and select your "pull down" the settings you want (add, remove, start frame, etc.) and then you select one clip and the library it should go to. As you noted, this is painstaking if you have 50 clips.
If this pulldown method works for you, you could always create a sequence, assuming resolutions are the same, of all the clips back-to-back. Then, using ConnectFX (go to FX, "create connect FX" when selected on a single clip) you can add the same pull down here. In the ConnectFX browser you'll need to simply add a "pulldown" node in between your source and output nodes, and again select the settings. Then leave the connect FX without rendering. From there you should be able to add this connectFX to all your clips, like you would copy any FX. If it won't let you copy a connect FX, then unfortunately you'd have to add them all individually, but even still the plus is that you could render the entire sequence as one you'd just have to set it up first. Though I think you should be able to copy the FX onto the other clips in your sequence and set one long render.
Hope this is of some help.
Oh, and when I do go 23.976 to 29.97, I simply "add pulldown" and start at frame 1. It sometimes moves it to frame 4 automatically, after you've begun processing, this is fine too.
Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]