FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke 2013 ext1 hangs while applying axis effect

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikos Tsimpetonidis
Smoke 2013 ext1 hangs while applying axis effect
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:56:18 pm

Hello everyone,

i have a problem everytime i i apply the axis effect on a clip. What happens is that smoke hangs there, and after a while a message comes up saying that due to a software error smoke must close. but the only way to close it, is only if i do force quit process through terminal. Everything else works really well though, besides this specific issue with axis effect.
here is the smoke log file from console:

Sep 09 20:33:33 : No shader unit for shader (null).
Sep 09 20:33:33 : Assertion failed: (_curUnit), function shaderUnit* shaderUnits::getCurrentUnit() const, file develop/src/libcoreGraphics/shaderMgr.C, line 378.
Sep 09 20:33:33 : Application: smoke 2013.2.53 x86_64
Sep 09 20:33:33 : Pid: 3023
Sep 09 20:33:34 : Uninitialising thread manager.

The footage that i'm using is SD PAL, in DV format (.mov) files, captured through firewire through Premiere CS6. Is it a problem of the footage? GPU? or am i missing something?

My computer specs are (i'm on a hackintosh for now...):

Intel Quad Core Q9300
GPU NVIDIA 9800GT 1GB
4GB RAM

System is installed on a 500GB SATA drive , and media storage folder of smoke is placed on a 150GB Raptor disk.
I'm really new to smoke, so id' be grateful for any feedback. Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English.
Cheers,
Nikolaos Tsimpetonidis

Return to posts index

Nikos Tsimpetonidis
Re: Smoke 2013 ext1 hangs while applying axis effect
on Sep 10, 2013 at 11:04:38 am

anyone please?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Sep 10, 2013 at 1:36:29 pm

Well the issue might be related to you running a hackintosh... this is against Autodesk Policy and therefore I doubt you will get any official help.

That being said.. I am guessing that it is video card or video driver related. I don;t know if that is even a supported card.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Nikos Tsimpetonidis
on Sep 10, 2013 at 3:25:49 pm

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your immediate response, i really appreciate it, i understand Autodesk policy, and i agree, but unfortunately i cannot afford to buy a new apple computer at the moment (yes Greece has crisis) and my 2010 macbook pro doesn't have enough horsepower as i understand for Smoke 2013 that's why i went the hackintosh route.

To be honest i also thought the same with you for the axis issue,either compatibility issues, or maybe lack of horsepower, just didn't know if that was the problem. When i firstly installed Smoke 2013 on my MacBook Pro 2010 (dual-core, 2 GB RAM, Nvidia GT320M) it wouldn't even start up, but just hang there as well.

Anyway, if i may ask your advice: 1) what do you think would be the best option for me at the moment?
2) i'm intending to upgrade to the new mac pro, once it's out, so in that case what GPU should i look for if the one coming already installed in the new mac pro isn't compatible?

Thank you again for you feedback, i really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Nikolaos Tsimpetonidis

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Sep 10, 2013 at 3:44:18 pm

Currently all of the current MBP and iMacs work with Smoke as well as the current (legacy) MacPros. I would wait until the new MacPros have been released and make sure that Autodesk has Smoke working with the new ATI GPUs.

I run Smoke on a 2011 MBP i7 2.3ghz with ATI card. You will need at least 8 gigs of RAM.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Sep 10, 2013 at 3:50:16 pm

Currently all of the current MBP and iMacs work with Smoke as well as the current (legacy) MacPros. I would wait until the new MacPros have been released and make sure that Autodesk has Smoke working with the new ATI GPUs.

I run Smoke on a 2011 MBP i7 2.3ghz with ATI card.

If you can find a different graphics card. it might help...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534&resu...

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Nikos Tsimpetonidis
on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:51:09 pm

Thank you very much for your effort and feedback, it's been really helpful. I 'll try again on my macbook pro, of course update the memory on both systems and try again, maybe with a gtx 285 that a friend has.

As for the new MacPros you are absolutely right. Patience is a virtue.

Thanks again for your help,

all the best,
Nikolaos Tsimpetonidis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]