FORUMS: list search recent posts

export procedure/options

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Frome
export procedure/options
on Aug 21, 2013 at 2:23:23 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm an Avid editor curious about Smoke 2013. I'd like to know a little more about it's exporting options; file-based outputs like H264, quicktime, etc.

I'm specifically wondering if smoke has the ability to 'send off' edits to a compression application directly, such as Premiere Pro with Adobe Media Encoder. Any tutorials, reading info, videos, etc, on the export process would be appreciated.

daniel

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: export procedure/options
on Aug 21, 2013 at 4:11:04 pm

Hi Daniel,

Smoke does not send off its media to other compression applications.

However it does have its own systems of encoding for a variety of file formats to cover most workflows.

In terms of how Smoke performs exporting, you can watch the tutorial video on exporting files from Autodesk on the Smoke Learning Channel ala Youtube.

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Aug 21, 2013 at 4:45:32 pm

So it has background exporting. Lovely. Looks like a well thought-out design from the looks of the video.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Aug 21, 2013 at 4:47:31 pm

Hi Daniel,

When it is set up and running correctly, all export processes are background driven.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Oct 14, 2013 at 5:50:07 pm

I know I'm a late comer to this thread but I did have an additional question which is why I found the thread in the first place.
Often we need to create lower quality, h264's for our clients to view via our FTP. However, the h264 has some specific settings that I'd love to be able to set in Smoke, rather than exporting the codec of our sequence (usually ProRes444) and then utilizing compressor to create the h264.
These format specific settings include the ability to restrict the data rate, sometimes very low sometimes higher (for example: 6400 kbits/sec), as well as and most importantly the ability to select the h264 to have a compressed header and a fast start, so that clients can start playing the media even if it isn't fully loaded in their web browser.
Is this possible?
Thanks.
Josh

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Oct 14, 2013 at 5:56:23 pm

You may find Wiretap Central to be best for this.
http://localhost/WiretapCentral in any browser connected to your Smoke system network.

From there you can look at all of your projects and clips and export from them.

h.264 is a preset as is .mpeg4 - all in a .mov wrapper.

You can dial via a slider the quality, not sure what equates to bit rate. I don;t think fast streaming is included. This is all edited via the XML if you know anything about ffmepg stuff.

You can choose h.264 via the standard Smoke Export and go int advanced options and find another preset that might match the bit rate you want.
I find the export options very unclear for Smoke.

I know fast streaming isn't an option for any of them though.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Oct 14, 2013 at 6:34:04 pm

Thanks Brian. It looks like for this specific need I'll need to utilize Compressor. Oddly enough, we've had 2013 for about 2-months and I've yet to need to use wiretap central, and now I'm seeing that "localhost" won't open. So now I have that to look into.
I really do appreciate the help as always.
Josh

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Oct 14, 2013 at 6:35:31 pm

you can also try your Mac name or IP in place of localhost in the address bar.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Aug 21, 2013 at 5:12:14 pm

Daniel,

I came to Smoke from offline as well. It is a beast. Well worth the time spent in learning if you're at all interested in adding some VFX/Comping value to your skillset.

I wish I had picked it up sooner!

Best,
Sandeep.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]