Timeline Navigation - 2 questions

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristian Whitlock
Timeline Navigation - 2 questions
on Aug 21, 2013 at 12:27:32 am

A question for Autodesk first...

Sequence Cursor behaviour:
If I want to scroll with my pen prior to the In-Point of a created timeline, the pen stops dead. I can incrementally move the cursor up with the transport keys but not with pen.

Just a finished a long-form job (Smoke 2013 SP2 - not ext1) which involved lots of created sequences and cost me time when I needed to make changes prior to the start of a particular sequence.

Move in increments along timeline:
In Smoke (Linux) there was a way to add a value to the timecode box and left/right arrows would allow you to move up and down. A ten frame increment would suffice in most situations - gets you around quicker.

Is there such a feature in Smoke 13?

Thanks in advance,
Kristian

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Timeline Navigation - 2 questions
on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:11:54 pm

Well I guess I am Autodesk :)

Hi Kristian,

There is an option in preferences menu under the timeline tab called SCROLL PAST FIRST FRAME.

Enable this and you will be able to scroll the positioner (cursor) beyond the beginning. This was done because people were a little "gung-ho" with the pen and the sequence went scrolling far away. But you can disable the "safety guard" and use this behaviour.

You should be able to do this. There are two ways depending if you are using a full size keyboard with a numpad or not.

With a numpad keyboard, you should just be able to type +10 and enter and the cursor will move forward by 10.

With a smaller size keyboard, click any of the timecode boxes to bring up the calculator. Type 10 and click ADD. The benefit this way is that the calculator will not go down until you press enter. Therefor you can keep adding and subbing increments of the frames you want.

Hope this helps!

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Kristian Whitlock
Re: Timeline Navigation - 2 questions
on Aug 22, 2013 at 10:08:17 am

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your replies!

Yes I remember the timeline flying away during over-zealous scrolling. The 'guard' is useful but I'm glad it can be disabled.

The second suggestion does involve using the pen. If I can delegate as much of that pen work to the keyboard then I'm a happier editor, but at least it can be done. All good!

Cheers,
Kristian

Kristian Whitlock
Online Editor - Smoke 2013 | Avid DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]