FORUMS: list search recent posts

SSD Recommendations?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
SSD Recommendations?
on Aug 16, 2013 at 2:07:17 am

Was curious, how much of a performance boost could I expect in Smoke, for editorial work, if I upgrade my system drive to an SSD?

I'm trying my best to give Smoke a chance in the editorial arena, and while there are many features I like, some of the performance issues are making it not a very attractive solution. For instance, every time Smoke does an auto-save, my machine is locked down for a solid 10-15 seconds, during which I just have to look at the client and try to entertain them with my impersonations of people. Needless to say, If I can't get that issue alone sorted out I'll have to jump ship.

Does anyone have any specific SSD configuration recommendations for Smoke 2013 Ext.1 performance specifically?

My specs --

OSX 10.8.4
2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
18 GB 800 Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1024 MB
Startup Disk - 1TB 7200rpm SATA Drive
Media Disk - 4TB 7200rpm SATA Drive

Thanks for any suggestions!

Return to posts index

Joel Osis
Re: SSD Recommendations?
on Aug 16, 2013 at 2:47:02 am

macsales has some great SSDs and it will help u with speed in terms of moving round the UI and loading up bigger batches,
as for the annoying autosave you can turn this off in your preferences

just be sure to save manually

w: http://www.joelosis.com
e info@joelosis.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Aug 16, 2013 at 4:26:41 pm

To answer your last question first, I'd recommend either the OCZ Vertex 450 or the Samsung 840 Pro families.

While upgrading your system drive might help a little on loading the app and plugins, the real boost would be to go SSD as an external media storage drive. Or, even place two additional 4TB drives into your MP's other two slots and strip them in Disk Utility. You can get adapters that will allow you to add SSDs as the additional drives in your MP, but the lower capacity points might offset the speed over using 3 normal HDDs striped.

Using three Seagate Constellation 3 4TB drives striped in my MP 4,1, I get I/O performance of just under 400MB/sec write and 410-420MB/sec read.

With my Samsung 840 Pro 500's in a 4 drive SAS array, I see 740MB/sec write and 790MB/sec read on Thunderbolt (rMBP) or 1.1GB/sec write and 1.23GB/sec read on my MP (using ATTO H680 on both).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Paul Carlin
on Aug 17, 2013 at 3:42:52 am

Speed may be awesome... but if a drive fails, especially any kind of RAID 0 configuration, you lose your database... and countless hours of your time.

Consider reliability as your main consideration. Then speed. After all, that's what auto-save is all about. Saving your ass.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]