FORUMS: list search recent posts

23.98 to 25p conversion

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Miller
23.98 to 25p conversion
on Aug 15, 2013 at 7:57:52 pm

Hello,
I've only recently started using Smoke as a replacement for FCP7. Aside from the way the program handles text and fonts, I'm really loving the interface and compatibility.

One thing that I've really fallen in love with is the auto pitch correction when speeding up or slowing down audio files. I have a few international clients that I deliver 25p pitch corrected files to, but the process is slow and painful and involves using pitch correction software and a few other programs. So I'm wondering, is there a way to drop 2398 files into a 25p sequence and export as a pitch corrected 25p QT? I've tried a few things on my own and the picture seems to convert to 25p without any extra frames or blending, but for some reason the audio doesn't sound the way it should. I'm trying to export 4-mono passes, but I'm getting an echo sound in the sync, which makes me think only some of the channels are conforming to pitch corrected 25p. Correct me if I'm wrong. Any Smoke gurus out there have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: 23.98 to 25p conversion
on Aug 15, 2013 at 8:31:13 pm

How are you doing the conversion? I have to timewarp audio all the time in broadcast to fit :35 sec of copy into :30. I find that the pitch correction on Smoke is really pretty good and I'm TW like 100% at times.

On dual Mono tracks I do find sometimes that the TW varies slightly and I do get an echo. I usually solve it buy copying 1 channel to the other. so for the VO on ch 1&2 if there is an echo or a variance, I copy ch1 onto ch2 and problem solved.

You can also try different LAMBADA settings. There 1-5.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Patrick Miller
on Aug 16, 2013 at 6:09:18 pm

Hi Brian,
I've basically been importing finished 23.98 QTs with 4 track mono audio into a project, creating a 25fps sequence with the same audio configs and dropping the file in to the sequence. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems to be making the speed change and pitch correction automatically. Correct me if I'm wrong. The main issue I'm having is that while my audio is a 4 track mono, its actually two separate stereo tracks. Full stereo on 1&2 and stereo M&E on 3&4. My clients prefer the tracks to be delivered as mono, but as was mentioned in my original post, I'm hearing an echo in the sequence. Is this an inaccuracy with the pitch correction in Smoke or am I completely off base?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:24:32 pm

Nope.. You have it all correct.
It may be an inaccuracy with variations in the "stereo" of the audio.
Did you try and change the Lambda settings each one will take longer to render and the affect different types of audio differently. IE: Voice vs Music.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]