FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam Editing strategy?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Multicam Editing strategy?
on Aug 15, 2013 at 2:47:54 am

I'm undertaking editing a pretty big project in Smoke, liking a lot of the new features, and especially the ability to jump into CFX whenever necessary.

The media I'm working with is 2 cam, so I have to work out some sort of multicam editing strategy. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about setting Smoke up for old-school multicam editing, with each angle on a video track, and then the clips resized and repositioned with a soft Axis effect to see both angles.

My issue is that, when I set it up this way, when I hit play, one of my angles drops away. I'm assuming it's because it's too many video streams to play in real time without rendering. I was wondering though, is there a way to set it up so that I can play both tracks with Axis soft FX without rendering? The rendering part would make this workflow not useable, because many of the takes are very long and it would take far too long to wait for those renders.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
Re: Multicam Editing strategy?
on Aug 15, 2013 at 3:28:49 am

Few more details that may be helpful --

The footage is H264 from a 5D Mark III. I'm transcoding using 5DtoRGB into 10bit ProRes HQ.

I've tried with both the 8bit H264, and the 10bit ProRes HQ and neither can do 2 tracks with an Axis soft FX, at least on my current setup.

Just thought that info may help troubleshoot.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Aug 15, 2013 at 8:47:10 am

Hi Dustin,

Unfortunately, you are correct with the current version of Smoke 2013 EXT 1. It will only playback what thinks it can playback in real-time. Hence the reason why it drops the second image to black.

The team are aware of this and thats as much as I know.

As a viable workflow, since Smoke has no multi-cam support natively, is to look at FCP or FCP x to do the multi-cam task. Once this is done, export a XML and reconform in Smoke. This should give you the timeline with all your edits and you can use CFX but still have the flexibility to refine the edit if needed.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Anders Utterstrom
on Aug 15, 2013 at 10:04:39 am

Dustin,

I have used FCP X for cutting multi cam. It's very easy and you can use up to 64 cameras or something. I did on a 16 GB iMac without TB, with up to 5 cameras+audio. Buy the ripple training for multi cam, it's well worth the money.

The strategy I used was to build the clip(s) with a separately recorded audio track as the "master", sync all cameras using audio and then switch between the camera angles.

I would think that a similar implementation of multi cam should be up there on the priority list along with Mocha style tracking (OT), to make smoke better.

Anders Utterstrom
Chicago, Illinois

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]