FORUMS: list search recent posts

Six NEW Smoke Videos - Creating Optical Scopes

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Kay
Six NEW Smoke Videos - Creating Optical Scopes
on Jul 31, 2013 at 4:12:06 pm

Hi All,

I have posted a new six-part video series showing how to simulate an optical scope in Autodesk Smoke.

You may or may not have to make scopes but a wide variety of areas are covered in Smoke and it'd worth a look!

- Masks
- Edge Mattes
- Creating Graphics with Masks
- Tracking Off-Screen
- Animation
- Action Object Instancing
- Off-setting Animation with the Tracks Editor
- Lens Distort and Lens Textures in Action
- Night Vision using the Damage Node

Downloadable media is available to follow along with the training videos.

You can check all of this out on the Smoke Learning Channel - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Or you can download the videos via iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/smoke-learning-channel/id552051408?mt=2

Please follow me on Twitter @discreetuk for the latest Official Smoke Training Updates

All feedback, requests and comments are always welcome!

Have a great week!

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

Danny Thompson
Re: Six NEW Smoke Videos - Creating Optical Scopes
on Aug 2, 2013 at 9:55:05 pm

Thanks for this tutorial Grant, this got me a lot more familiar with the use of the gmask node and navigating the interface for that.

Would there happen to be any tutorials that cover the process of doing a basic primary + secondary grade in Smoke? I'm trying to edge DaVinci out of our finishing process, I'd appreciate one tutorial that covers doing a primary, then adding a secondary with a tracked window and a qualifier. Knowing how to do those would be very helpful. Baby steps, you know?

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Aug 4, 2013 at 5:23:43 am

Sorry Danny. But what you're trying to do is pretty much impractical and a very bad idea. It will take you much less time to do the proper Smoke-Resolve-Smoke roundtrip to perform grading using a real color grading software, than trying to use almost useless, slow, very limited and outdated CC and CW. A while ago Joel did one of his excellent demos, where he showed how to do just what you asking and it was a disaster to see number of steps necessary to do simplest grading operations, that could be accomplish with almost no effort in Resolve. Until AD figures out how to incorporate a proper modern type of grading within a Smoke and Flame, this software can hardly be considered a true all inclusive-single app-finishing platform.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Aug 4, 2013 at 11:37:56 pm

Hi Danny,

Jake is entitled to his opinion but I am here to answer your question of how to do it in Smoke because you asked.

I actually did something in my getting started series for Smoke when I introduced colour correction. It included overall grading and applying a secondary grade.

Under the understanding that Smoke is an editor first, you can do the colour correction with layers. You would be masking out one layer or another of the identical to perform masked colour correction etc.

If you prefer the nodal approach, you could you the masking and colour correction nodes in ConnectFx to do more complicated grading. I have used the nodal system of Resolve and the concepts are the same as how to you apply processes to your image. The real-time preview aspect of Resolve definitely adds to the experience but it does still require rendering like all apps.

As I said, I am not here to debate the issues, just answer what you ask for... Take a look at

As an extra tip, to speed up the colour corrector in Smoke, change the view mode settings from PREVIEWFX to REAL TIME. Smoke can show the colour corrections without caching which will make the whole experience faster.

Hope this helps!

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Aug 7, 2013 at 10:30:17 pm

Yes Grant. It is my personal opinion regarding the lack of truly modern color grading capabilities of Smoke. Yes, for few tweaks here and there Smoke is just fine, as is FCP, PP or Avid. At the same time, I feel, that it is a bit of disservice to Smoke users trying to promote Smoke as a complete finishing application, when an easy and quick roundtrip to Resolve may help, when a real grading capabilities are called for. I really disappointed to see, that you you're equating grading in CFX to grading in Resolve just because both use nodes. By the same measure Nuke should be a great color grading software because it too uses nodes and Baselight or Lustre are not, because they are not node based:-) Actually, technically speaking, as you know, Lustre does have nodes. They are just not exposed.
I think it may be more productive to embrace Resolve as a great free color grading alternative when more complete color grading capabilities are called for, until there is a Baselight plugin for Smoke or, better yet, a Lustre inside the Smoke.
Meanwhile, how about a tutorial on the Smoke-Resolve roundtrip?:-)

Return to posts index

Danny Thompson
on Aug 8, 2013 at 2:45:58 am

Thanks for the video Grant. Your videos are all great and I'm glad to see Autodesk providing so much instruction completely free.

I still have a lot of questions but don't have my Smoke in front of me. I'll get back to you soon in this thread.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]