FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I render and work on top of that without rerendering the whole chain all over again?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Thompson
Can I render and work on top of that without rerendering the whole chain all over again?
on Jul 19, 2013 at 2:23:59 am

I'm considering Smoke for my workflow. I get offline projects, online them, finish them, and master. Smoke's pushing the mastering element big time.

Part of what makes my current process efficient in some ways but not in others is that we finish on full onlines - no upres or sharpen necessary. This saves time in DaVinci renders and makes Color tweaks much easier. However, if Conform gets bungled somehow or we need to make a tweak to the original unconformed video, it's back to step 1.

Can Smoke work within this same paradigm? If my entire process is treated as a single chain in Smoke, can I render the results of my conform nodes, and change the finishing nodes without forcing a full re-render from the very bottom? If full re-renders are necessary with each change I can see much time being lost in the revisions stage.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Can I render and work on top of that without rerendering the whole chain all over again?
on Jul 19, 2013 at 1:20:26 pm

Hi,

From what I am reading in your post, you are doing everything at full resolution with no proxies or resizing for your masters?

Smoke should be able to handle this. It's more of a case of really knowing what you typically do doing your on-line sessions.

Smoke is an editor, so you can work on a shot by shot basis. So you only need to render what you change. You can also do your effects above the edit (like an adjustment layer) and that could also do the trick.

Perhaps some more examples could make this clearer to us.

You can download the Smoke trial, watch some of the getting started videos and see if it works in your workflow.

Regards
Grant

Check out the Smoke Learning Channel

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos
or search for the Smoke Learning Channel on iTunes
Follow me on twitter @discreetuk

Return to posts index

David Jahns
Re: Can I render and work on top of that without rerendering the whole chain all over again?
on Jul 19, 2013 at 5:35:49 pm

I think I know what you're asking, but let me clarify... Do you mean:

"If I do a bunch of Color & FX work on footage, and then add titles over it - does all of the VFX work have to be re-rendered when the titles change?"

If that's the question, then the answer is - "No, and HARD COMMIT is your new best friend".

I do TV Commercials all day, and my usual work flow is to build the timeline with footage sources on v1 and v2, titles/GRFX on v4 and above. Whenever we lock the color & VFX work, you can highlight the gap on v3 and choose HARD COMMIT - this will create a single new clip with all of the VFX Renders from v1 & 2 baked in. Then lock v1, 2, and 3 and do titling and versioning on v4 and above.

If for some reason, you need to tweak the VFX work (perhaps to make the supers more legible), you can unlock v1 & 2, do your work, then re-Commit v3 and re-lock the lower tracks.

(Technically, you don't even need that hard commit step, you could just lock the v1 and v2 tracks, and they will stay rendered, but I find it quite helpful to create the new self-contained clip as double check that everything stays where it was when the Color-VFX work was approved.)

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Danny Thompson
on Jul 22, 2013 at 8:25:58 pm

That is exactly what I was asking. Thank you David.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]