FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback choppy

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Playback choppy
on Jul 6, 2013 at 11:56:20 pm

I'm trying to use Smoke for Mac 2013 Ext. 1 as an editor on a project, and am noticing that I'm getting really choppy playback as I try to watch through my footage. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to smooth it out so I can actually see what I'm doing.

The same exact footage plays back perfectly well in FCP7. The footage is ProResHQ 422 10-bit Transcodes of 5D footage from 5DtoRGB.

The specs of my machine are --

OS X 10.8.4
2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Xeon
18GB 800 Mhz DDR2 ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 1024mb vram

Footage isn't cached, it's soft imported, playing off of a separate internal Sata drive.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
Re: Playback choppy
on Jul 7, 2013 at 12:02:43 am

Also, sometimes when I pause the video, the frame goes a full solid green. If I nudge forward or backward a frame my image comes back.

Return to posts index

Robert Adam
Re: Playback choppy
on Jul 8, 2013 at 5:24:29 pm

Hi Dustin.

Press Shift+D+F13 to display the debug info on top of the player. (If you're on a laptop and don't have the F13 key, go into the Keyboard Shortcut editor and map "Debug" to something else).

Now play back your timeline / clip and pay attention to the "Disk drop frames" and Video GFX Drop" lines in the debug overlay.

-> If disk drop increases a lot, that means your storage isn't fast enough to supply Smoke with the number of frames per second needed for real-time playback.
-> If the GFX drop increases, that means your computer as a whole (CPU, RAM, Graphics Card), can't process the frames fast enough to display them at the required FPS.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Robert.

Autodesk M&E Support
http://www.facebook.com/AutodeskMECF

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]